Prologue: The Sicilian Don

Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty.

-Sicilian Proverbs

Santi Marchesi's POV

"Santi!" My face remained stoic while looking at the twelve-year-old girl who just slid out of the luxury car while waving her hands wildly in my direction.

I took a deep breath and studied her silently while she was standing outside her father's bulletproof car with her bodyguard holding the car's door for her.

Do I really need to babysit this little girl again?

I heard the soft chuckle of Nico who stood beside me. He was my cousin and also acted as my bodyguard despite my protest. He swung his arm over my shoulder while looking at the princess of the Pierce family. "You're in for a wild ride again today."

"Shut up!" I hissed at my cousin who grinned and waved back to the young girl completely ignoring me. "If you don't want me to break your neck right this moment."

He laughed again, sliding his gaze on me. "Based on the wide grin on her face it seems that she still has a huge crush on you, cousin."

I couldn't help but groan. How could he remind me of that? I was aware of the teenage crush she has on me but I was hoping that it would be over by now. I felt uncomfortable with the idea because of our six years age gap. I am already eighteen years old, for goodness sake!

I felt that Nico elbowed me in the stomach. I threw a deathly glare in his direction. "What?! Do you want to die?"

"You haven't greeted your princess yet." He nodded his head in the direction of the little girl who just arrived at our family's estate. "Don't be so cold. She's waiting for your acknowledgment, see?"

I took a deep breath. What other choice do I have? I gave her a faint smile as my form of greeting. I heard Nico scoff beside me. "That's so cruel of you, cousin."

I watched the princess of the Pierce family walk in our direction. Nico whispered something near my ear. "Look, at the deadly glare, her bodyguard is throwing in your direction. I think he feels that you are his competition for the lady's affection."

"Don't be absurd," I replied dryly, looking at the man with a deadly gaze. He's barking at the wrong tree. Besides, I am a few years older than him and I have no interest in that girl.

"Should I put a bullet inside his head for you?" My cousin suggested darkly.

I frowned in his direction. "There's no need for that. I can handle him but his unjustified anger is not worth my time."

Nico whistled softly. "What should I expect from the future head of our famiglia? The great Santino Marchesi."

Before I have the chance to answer my cousin the young girl was already standing in front of us with a big bright smile on her clear blue eyes. "Hi, Santi, I am excited to be here again," she slide her gaze on the man next to me. "Hello, Nico."

I only managed to give her a tight smile and from the corner of my eye, I saw how Nico stopped himself from laughing out loud.

"Nice to see you again, little one." My cousin replied ruffling her brunette locks. "I hope you'll enjoy your visit again."

"I hope so."

My damned cousin drifted his gaze on me with malicious intent. "You don't need to worry," he said jovially, placing his arm once again on my shoulder. "My cousin here will make sure that you'll have a good time."