Chapter 4: The Summer Plan

Tears are the summer showers to the soul.

Alfred Austin

Haven Pierce's POV

Have you ever experienced planning your summer traveling to places that you've never been before and enjoyed your newfound freedom only to be taken away by some strangers claiming to be your new guardian?

Well, that's what happened to me earlier today.

I am so excited that the semester ended and I have a few weeks of freedom before I start looking for an internship. I was supposed to be backpacking in Asia or Europe but everything went down the drain because Santino Marchesi—my new unwanted legal guardian was taking me to his homeland in Sicily to spend my summer vacation under his care!

Like I want to have something to do with him. From the moment I met him in the parking lot of the university, I already sense the unmistakable danger from him. He was in no way just an ordinary businessman who fortunately knew my Dad very well. Yep, I knew that his filthy rich from the expensive car he used to his magnificent modern mansion in Malibu and now his damn private plane...

I felt my irritation take over me once again as I unwillingly reminded myself that I was strapped inside his damn plane and we were bound to Sicily. I still remember vividly how he put me over his shoulder as he did back at the parking lot of the university ignoring my protest he was used to getting his way that's why it's only fitting to call him 'the brute Sicilian'.

I still didn't understand how my Dad got associated with the likes of him. I mean, Dad made no mention that he has a business partner in Sicily or that he had millions in his bank account and several properties and even businesses when we live in a three-bedroom bungalow in the middle-class area in Los Angeles.

I am not complaining that my Dad didn't tell me this. We were happier even if we lived in modest lifestyle below his means. My only complaint was why he entrusted me to the care of this guy I don't even want to trust. I am sure Santino Marchesi thinks of me as nothing but a hindrance to his busy life I could see it on his face every time he looks at me. The disdain and annoyance on his face were more than obvious.

And what I don't understand even more is why he bothered to take me to his birthplace and honored Dad's last wish when he could just let me stay in Los Angeles.

"Are you done cursing me inside your head?" He asked with a smirk on his devilishly handsome face.

I shot him a gaze and then I avoided his piercing eyes. "I don't do such a thing, Mr. Marchesi."

"Santi," he replied casually, sitting across from me with a glass of whiskey on his table. His bodyguards were sitting at the far back of his private plane having a small conversation with themselves but I knew that they were keenly listening to us. "Mr. Marchesi is too formal. You can call me Santi for short."

I wanted to snort but stop myself from doing so. I pointedly look out my plane window refusing to stare at his face. There was something about him that compels you to stare at his face like a magnet. There was something about him that intrigues me more than I should care. "I was just wondering, Mr. Marchesi, how did you manage to get my stuff in our house? I don't remember giving you my keys."

From the corner of my eyes, I saw him discreetly cover his mouth with his hand to hide the smile formed in his mouth but I saw it, nevertheless. "I instructed my men to do the job and they did it."

I couldn't help but stare at him in disbelief. "Don't tell me your men broke into our house like common burglars?"

"Then, I am not telling you."