Chapter 2: The Stranger

Life is always going to be stranger than fiction, because fiction has to be convincing, and life doesn't.

-Neil Gaiman

Haven Pierce's POV

"...okay class that would be all."

I have never been so happy to hear those words from my professor because that means that summer break would be officially starting right this minute.

I immediately gathered my things from my desk and I couldn't wait to pack my things and start my summer adventure. Since unexpectedly losing Dad a few months ago I couldn't wait for the semester's break so I could get away and unwind. My friend, Noah, was asking me to spend the summer with him and his family in their town in Nashville. I haven't given him an answer yet but I think it's a good idea since I don't want to stay at home only to be reminded that Dad was not here anymore.

I walked briskly in the parking lot where other students gathered around celebrating the last day at the university making plans with their friends. I gave a short nod with a smile to my classmate on some subject as I passed them by. They were inviting me to this house party but I politely declined them since I am not in the mood to party right now.

I was still debating if I should tag along with Noah in his hometown in Tennessee or if I'll go backpacking in Asia or Western Europe for the summer since I already save enough money for this summer trip. An adventure I had never done before because my Dad was so overprotective of my safety refusing me to go out without a bodyguard or even letting me leave the country without someone he trust to babysit me on my trip. He'd been like that since the kidnapping incident when I was twelve.

Seriously, I think he was just being paranoid because I barely remember that thing and all I just remember was waking up at the hospital with no recollection of that event. Now that I am already twenty-one I want to explore the world on my own. This would first taste of freedom after being under the watchful eyes of someone.

It feels so good that no one was following me around like a shadow and other students stopped giving me weird looks because I went to university with bodyguards as if I am some sort of a wealthy heiress when the truth was, Dad was only a minimum wage earner.

I unlocked the driver's side of my car and tossed my things on the shotgun seat. I was about to slide inside my car when I felt a presence behind my back. I immediately turned around to see a tall, handsome-looking stranger wearing an expensive suit standing next to me.

I tried not to be cowed by his presence as I arched my eyebrow in his direction giving him a condescending look. "Yes?"

"Haven Pierce?" He said, his accented tone not asking me to confirm but rather reminding me that I was the person that he was looking for.

I slid my gaze onto the parking lot and I saw a shiny black Range Rover—not your typical school ride that car belongs to this stranger. Who was this stranger? Don't tell me Dad has still unpaid loans from this guy and now he wants me to pay the rest. If that's the case then my summer plans are in jeopardy. "What do you want?"

"You need to come with us." The handsome stranger said without a hint of emotion in his eyes.

"Why?" I asked, crossing my arms in the middle of my chest trying to look brave but deep inside I was already feeling anxious about his presence. He wouldn't kidnap me in broad daylight, right? There are so many students in the parking lot they witness it if that happens. "Why will I come with you when I don't even know you?"

He took a deep breath and glanced worriedly back to the expensive Range Rover nearby. "Look, I am not in the position to explain things to you if you'll just come with us and our boss will explain everything."

"Your boss?" I echoed with a frown on my forehead.

"Si." He nodded, sparing the Range Rover another glance before smiling friendly in my direction. Don't tell me his boss was in that car.

I gave him a big fake smile. "I don't think so. Do you think I am stupid who will follow a mere stranger just because he said so? You are wasting my time here I'd better go. Excuse me."

I was about to slide inside my car when this stranger slammed the driver's door. I glowered at him but doesn't mind a bit. "You can't leave yet, Miss Pierce."

"You son of a—"

"Enough of that chitchat, let's go." Another deep voice joined the conversation. This stranger and I both looked in the direction of that Range Rover. My eyes slightly widened when I saw a far more handsome man who had just gone out of the car. He could probably easily be mistaken for a billboard model with that chiseled jaw, straight as-arrow nose, high cheekbones, red lips, thick eyebrows, and cold eyes of his no wonder female eyes on the parking lot glued their eyes on him.

I raised an eyebrow in his direction as he approached us. I hate that I found him attractive when my mind keeps on telling me that he's a walking danger. "And you are...?"

"Santino Marchesi." He supplied indifferently, buttoning his suit jacket while looking at me with icy eyes. "Your guardian."

I blinked at him unable to believe the words that came out of his mouth. "My what? Care to repeat that one? I think I misheard you."

He took a deep breath while looking at me with annoyance on his face. Seriously? What's wrong with this guy? Was he mad at me or something? What the deal with the way he's looking at me? "I am your legal guardian."

Okay, there's something wrong with these guys. I think they got the wrong woman and I happened to share a name with the woman they're looking for. I shook my head regretfully. "I'm sorry to tell you this but I think you got to wrong woman, gentleman. I am not the woman you are looking for."

I was about to open my car's door when Santino Marchesi's hand shot to my wrist striking fast. I abruptly remove my hand from his grip because it feels like I've been struck by a lightning from his touch. "I don't have time to play your games, little one."

"So do I," I replied with the same cold tone he used earlier giving him a haughty look. "Let go of me before I called the university cops for harassing me."

Santino permitted himself to smile slightly flashing his perfect white teeth. "You think I would be scared by those guys?" He looked at the man who first approach me and gestured his head on their vehicle. "Wait for us in the car, Nico, I will take care of this."

The man named Nico reluctantly did what he told him looking at me and then at his boss before walking away from us. "Now listen to me..." I started.

"No. You listen to me so it will save us so much time." He cut me off with a firm tone. "You are Haven Pierce the only daughter of James Pierce. He was my father's good friend and he was my mentor in his last will he named me as your legal guardian until you turn twenty-five."

"That's ridiculous!" I exploded angrily. "What kind of nonsense is this? I don't even know you or your father how come Dad will put me in your care."

"I don't know either." He shrugged unapologetically. "How I wish that he was still here with us to answer all your question but sadly that's impossible now."

I instantly realized that I don't like this stranger and I don't wish to associate myself with the likes of him. I am sure that there was some misunderstanding here. My Dad would never leave me in the care of this dangerous-looking man. "I don't have time with your bullshit, Mister. You got it wrong. I am not the woman you are looking for. Goodbye."

"Very well," he breathed deeply, and he raked me with his gaze once over. "You leave me no choice but to do this." Before I have the chance what does he mean by that, he swung me over his shoulder and started to walk back to his Range Rover.

"Put me down!" I shrieked at the top of my lungs while slamming my fist on his back when my hand got in contact with something hard in his waist. I froze for a moment. Is that a gun? "This is kidnapping do you know that?!"

"Keep still," he said casually. "Open the door," he instructed the men who went out of the SUV and tossed me inside the luxury interior of the car rudely like I am so dirty laundry.

"Help me! Help me! Someone please..." I called the other students in the parking lot looking at us curiously some of them started filming the whole thing with their smartphones but Santino Marchesi's men took the matters and probably threatened anyone who video their abduction of me.

Santino Marchesi sat beside me at the back of the car closing the door firmly beside him. "We'll talk somewhere private. I hate noisy surroundings, especially a place filled with a bunch of college students."

"Stop this car," I said half-pleading, half-demanding. "I don't know you and I am sure that my Dad wasn't the one you are talking about. He was just a minimum-wage earner. He couldn't possibly be associated with the likes of you."

He laughed humorlessly, refusing to look at me his gaze was fixed on the street outside. "Is that what he tells you about his job? A minimum wage earner? I don't believe you."

"I don't care if you don't believe me," I exclaimed, trying to open the car door on my side but it was locked by the driver's control. "I just want to go home and what about my car."

"Don't worry, I will have someone get your car back at the university if that's what worrying you about, Haven."

"Don't call me by my given name as if you're familiar with me," I said in askance. "I assure you that I haven't laid eyes on you before this day."

He glanced at me for a moment, something flashed in his eyes before blinking them away and having this distant and cold look once again. "I apologized, Signorina."

I searched for my phone in the pocket of my jeans and hoodie...shit. I think I put it in my bag and my bag was inside my car right now! I gave Santino a surprised look when he presented me with his mobile phone. He cocked a brow, giving me a cynical look. "You want to use mine?"

"Yes!" I replied acidly, snatching the phone in his hand. "I will call 911 and report this kidnapping incident."

He smirked darkly in my direction, his dark eyes were challenging me. "Go ahead and call the cops. I'm sure they will be on my side because I am your legal guardian I have papers to prove it, Signorina."

"You keep on saying that but you don't even show me the proof of your claims, Mister. For all I know, you are just lying." I hissed at him angrily.

He regarded me with a shrewd look. From the look on his face, he doesn't want to be my legal guarding so I wonder why he's still doing this. Just because a piece of a document says so? He took a deep breath. "I will show you the copy of your father's last will once we arrived at my house."

I laughed sarcastically, shaking my head in disbelief. "How come my father will leave last will? Does he have assets to pass on to me except his probably unpaid debt?"

Mr. Marchesi looked at me for a long moment he was probably deciphering what was going on inside my head. I nearly squirmed in my seat because I don't think I like the intensity of his gaze on me. It feels like he's trying to pierce his gaze deep into my soul.

"What?" I asked warily.

He averted his eyes and gazed back to his window. "I guess your father kept you in the dark about his business. I thought you were already aware of it."

My eyebrows drew together. He's not making any sense besides he's being creepy and cryptic. "Aware of what?"

"Nothing."

I looked at him with impatience. I was already frustrated enough that I was trapped inside his car taking me somewhere against my will and now he was talking as if he knew my dad very well and I was not. "Well. It's hardly my fault that I barely remember my childhood, doesn't it?"

"What?" For the first time, an emotion showed his eyes. "What did you say?"

I gave him a saccharine smile. "Nothing."

The sooner I get away from his presence the better. Because I may be lost some of my memories from my childhood but not my instinct. And my intuition tells me that I need to stay away from him.