Breaks at Work

You had no idea why Cynthia was the one apologizing. Oh of course you knew why! She ruined your life! She tore you away from work and now is making you suffer for it. But still, she held you in her arms, holding onto you tightly as you just wept into her arms. Besides you both was Empoleon watching you as you just unloaded it all onto Cynthia. All while you were in tears, Cynthia was softly moving her hand back and forth slowly to calm you down. You sighed a little bit as you slowly pulled away from her embrace. You whipped your nose and looked back at her.

She gave you a warm, sympathetic smile as you looked at her. You sighed and leaned up against the wall and groaned a little. You cleared your eyes from the tears and crawled back to the wall. You looked at Cynthia and saw her stand up and looked at you.

Cynthia: Come on. Let's get you inside. At least then we can get you something to eat and a place to rest for a little.

(Y/N): There's no need. I'll just go back to the lab and-

Cynthia: Have you ever stopped to consider the reason why you are so unhappy is due to that job?

You stopped and looked up at Cynthia in mild annoyance.

(Y/N): I don't see your point at all. In fact, just the opposite! Ever since you waltzed your way into MY LAB, you have been nothing but a pain to me. You break my habits, ruin my stability, and now have mentally destroyed me. What more do you want from me?!

Cynthia looked at you in a neutral state, before walking up to you and placing her hands on your shoulders. She sighed and hugged you. You didn't hug back. You just couldn't with her. But you also kinda wanted to though. You softly pushed away from her. You weren't going to let emotions get the best of you, not now of all times. You sighed and took in a deep breath as you looked her in the eye.

(Y/N): Tell me then. Tell me what you want!

Cynthia: I wanted you to be happy. Being a workaholic is never a good thing. You drain yourself high and dry. A break is needed every once in a while. You weren't. And now look at this. You are an emotional mess, unhinged and scared. Do I take some of the blame, yes. But that in no way means I was the villain here.

(Y/N): You uprooted my stability!

Cynthia: And you were never emotionally mature enough to handle this complex situation. Work is good, like a lot of things, but never one excess! How often does that lesson need to be driven into your head?

(Y/N): Very! Apparently! Besides, what's it to you anyway!

Cynthia: BECAUSE!!! Because...(sighs) because I care about you, (Y/N).

You cocked an eyebrow at her. Saying something so ludicrous was one thing. What she was saying was boring line insanity. In this cruel world, there was no such thing of caring, of looking out for one another. Sycamore only did these things to laugh at your misery. ...Right?

Cynthia: For the few times we have known each other, talked with one another...you...I don't know. It felt...right. And this paparazzi junk, I hate it to. But there was just something about it... We both were annoyed. But I am also trying to see where it could go. Because truth be told, you make me smile a lot. And well...I'm not quite sure what else. I am just happy when you are around. And I want to see you be just as happy as I am.

You blinked a little as you looked at her. You sighed and took a step back to avoid her a little bit.

(Y/N): You need therapy. How anyone could ever think of me in that light is absolutely absurd and borderline insane.

Cynthia: Maybe I am. But I know out of the three people in this alleyway, I'm not the only one that feels this way about you.

Before you could ask who or what she was talking about, low and behold, Empoleon walked up to you and placed one of his fins on your shoulder. He called out a little as you looked up to him. You wanted to say something positive here, but your negative attitude had already stained much of the day.

(Y/N): He's a pokemon. They are supposed to love and care. It's in their biology.

Cynthia: (Y/N), I know a man smart of enough as you can call bull on that.

You hated she was right. You really did. But at the same time, you wanted to be right here. You were so desperate to be right. You sighed and leaned back against the wall, mumbling to yourself a little bit as you turned away from her. She walked over and placed a hand on your shoulder. You slowly turned back to her and saw her same warm smile.

Cynthia: Everything we are doing is in your best interest. I know you don't like it. But you also need to take breaks every once in a while. It will help you mentally. SO that way one little screw-up isn't going to utterly destroy you.

(Y/N): I...I just don't know anymore. I just-

Cynthia: You can tell me. Tell us! We just want to help you more than anything else. Please, (Y/N), don't shut us out.

You walked away from her, not really feeling the current moment. That was until someone else stepped into the alleyway with you guys. You both turned up and you saw Sycamore was standing there, panting just like Cynthia.

(Y/N): Oh great. Now what do you want?

Sycamore didn't say anything but walked up to you and hugged you. You had no idea where this had come from. But you didn't hug him back. After a couple of seconds, he pulled back and looked at you in the eyes.

Sycamore: I was so worried about you! You just ran out in the middle of the afternoon and were gone for 10 bloody hours! God, I should slap you!

Cynthia: How do you think I feel!

(Y/N): I...

Sycamore: I'm just happy Cynthia found you.

You nodded a little bit as you pushed past him a little bit. Cynthia was the first to run after you, stopping you and getting you to look her in the eye.

Cynthia: You have a problem! And you need to go and get help now.

(Y/N): What is this, a bloody intervention now?

Sycamore: It just became one.

You pinched the bridge of your nose in frustration as you stepped around them both and looked them in the eyes.

(Y/N): I just need-

Cynthia: A bloody break. We're worried about you, (Y/N). And more work is not going to help out here. I know things broke down earlier this week, but that can be an outlier. Please, can you just get some help now and learn to take breaks.

(Y/N): I...I don't want to-

Sycamore: Come on, buddy. We'll get you started.

You followed Sycamore, almost being dragged out of the alleyway and over to his Talonflame. Behind you was Cynthia. She smiled at you as you got on the back of the pokemon.

Cynthia: I'll take care of Empoleon. Just get started on that therapy. I'll be here when you come back. I promise.

She smiled at you as the pokemon began to take off. You sighed and pushed your head up against Sycamore's back.

(Y/N): I messed up.

Sycamore: Don't worry. We all do.

(Y/N): I meant about her.

Sycamore: Oh...yeah you really messed that one up, didn't you.

You sighed and laid your head down. On the ground, Empoleon walked over to Cynthia and pushed his head onto her shoulder. She smiled a bit and softly pet the giant on her shoulder.

Cynthia: It will be ok. We both have faith in him, don't we?

Empoleon called out a bit as Cynthia smiled at the pokemon. She took a poke ball and absorbed the giant inside as she placed the ball along her belt. She began to walk off as she heard her phone go off. She grabbed it and smiled as she saw the name.

Cynthia: Hello grandmother. Yes, we got him to go. He's with Augustine right now. Currently on their way to Dr. Palamer right now. I understand. Yeah, I think he's going to be feeling a lot better. Talk to you back at the lab. Yeah. I have something to do for him. Love you too.

Cynthia smiled as she looked at Empoleon's Pokeball.

Cynthia: For his sake, I hope he pulls through. And for our sake, I want my friend back.

Cynthia smiled as she made her way back to your lab with Empoleon in hand.