Chapter 10

There was a body on the lying on the floor. The body had been horribly stabbed in the chest and stomach. It was a young man Samuel didn't recognize with dark black hair and olive coloured skin. His eyes were open, a look of shock in the deep brown orbs. A knife lay several feet away. It was had a long blade covered with blood and a brown handle with deep grooves in it. He bent to pick it up, but thought better of it , backing away. If he reported it to the police, he'd have to think of his reason for being at Greystone. If he didn't though some one may report it later. Someone else may have seen him enter the building and the blame would fall on him. He sighed, he would have to go and tell.

   Samuel hurried out of the building and told Thomas to bring him to the police station. Thomas nodded and a quarter of an hour later he was in front of Sargent Thompson and explaining what happened:

"I went inside and found the body in the room."

"May I ask why you were in the house?" The man said. He was a slender man with light brown hair that kept popping up, no matter how many times he patted it. His voice sounded tired and he spoke with a sigh.

"My sister has vanished and I though she may be by the house."

"Why would you think she would be there?"

"I know that is a favourite place for her," Samuel lied. He didn't want to reveal his suspicions about South until he had extracted his revenge on him.

"Did you find her?"

"No," he replied.

"Thank you, we shall look into this immediately." Sargent Thomas said. Samuel took this to mean he was dismissed.

***

"Where were you?" Asked Lady Turner when Samuel returned home.

"I thought I knew where Emilia was so I went to look for her," he replied.

"Oh," his mother sighed. He knew that she was troubled deeply by this. It wasn't like Emilia to disappear, perhaps Lady Turner also suspected something awful had happened to her.

That afternoon Phoebe paid a visit to the Turner house. When she herd about Emilia's disappearance she was shocked.

"Have you told the police about this?" She asked Samuel.

"I mentioned to them, I had some suspicions that she had been abducted, and I still do."

"Why do you suppose that is?"

"A very long story that may somehow tie in with the story in the paper." Samuel said. They were outside in the garden and he didn't wish to speak too loudly for the gardener was nearby and who knows what tale he would tell to the servants.

"I do require that one day you will tell me how all this connects." Phoebe smiled.

"I will, don't worry," laughed Samuel.

"I hope you find her by the time Monday comes," Phoebe said. "I would hate to have my birthday dampened by the thought of what danger she was in and it would be the best present to know that she was safe."

"I'm sure she will turn up," Samuel said reassuringly. He was no sure though. It was Monday in two days and he was convinced that South had her. When South would ask for the money Samuel was not sure but he was prepared to do anything to get his sister back.

***

Lord Turner had reported Emilia missing and the three Turners waited with baited breath to hear what had happened to Emilia.