Chapter 20

A few days after the supper with the Bradfords Samuel was in town when he saw Imogen hurrying by a crowd. She had a red scarf covering her hair and half her face. She hurried by Samuel, looking down but he touched her shoulder and she gasped, looking up. He saw that her right eye was bruised and she had an angry red welt forming on her cheek.

"Imogen, what happened?" He asked.

"Nothing," she replied, looking down again.

"Come," he led her to the small bench on the corner and sat her down. "What happened?" He asked.

"Nathaniel came back drunk last night. He started raving about how I was a worthless whore and I thought he had found out about who I was but he was just drunk. He took his belt and struck me before-" she broke off into sobs.

"He struck you with a belt?" She nodded.

"Please, please, you must do something," she pleaded.

"I don't know what I can do."

"Just something small so he had be convicted, please," she pleaded.

"How can I do that? Can I report him? You won't have to do anything."

"If he's reported for beating me he will kill me, he frightens me and I shouldn't really leave the house, I'll be punished but I had to, well never mind but please Samuel, please."

"I'll do what I can," he said.

"Thank you, oh thank-" she said but her face dropped. She was looking behind him and Samuel turned to see Nathaniel.

"Rose," he slurred, his breath stank of spirits. "What are you doing here?"

"I, I," Imogen was shaking like a leaf so Samuel stepped in.

"She was seeing a friend and I happened to bump into her."

"I told, hic, you to stay in the bloody house!" Nathaniel roared, causing several passer-by's look at them, clearly alarmed.

"I, I'm sorry." She bent her head.

"Lord Bradford, you cannot put your wife under house arrest," Samuel said, standing.

"What's it to you hic? I'll do whatever I hic please."

"Nathaniel, you are intoxicated, once you have become sober again we will speak," Samuel said firmly.

"We'll hic, speak now." Nathaniel swaggered close to Samuel until he was right in his face.

"Sir, compose yourself."

"I am perfect-hic-ly composed."

"I will get your wife a cab and send her home,"

"You do that, then we will hic speak," Nathaniel turned around and staggered back towards the pub, hiccupping and stumbling.

"I have the carriage waiting," Imogen said, "by the station."

"Alright, I'll take you there and then I'll think of something for Nathaniel."

They walked in silence until they reached the station where he deposited her safely and returned home, his mind working furiously.

***

Christopher South grinned at his brother.

"Hello brother dear," he chuckled quietly.

"What do you want?" Robert asked.

"You, I need a favour from you."

"What? How did you find me?"

"Let's just say that I've been a substitute for you." A look of realization passed over Robert's face.