Chapter 17

"Please understand Miss Newton, I need more evidence than just your word. Is there anyone else who will speak against this man?" Sergeant Thorning asked. Grace sighed; this was harder than she thought.

"I am not sure that the victim would like to speak about this matter," she said.

"Can you tell me something more about this man?"

"Isn't that enough?" She asked angrily. "He separated this girl from her family, and she is with child."

"I would like to speak with the girl in question."

"I don't believe she wants the fact spread."

"That may be, but is there anyway for me to see her?"

"I don't know." She gritted her teeth, she had told the truth and she knew Emilia didn't want the rest of society to know what had happened to her.

"Tell her to come with you next time," The Sergeant said in a bored voice, expecting Grace to leave.

"Please, will you look for this man?" She asked.

"If we find him we will bring him for questioning."

"Thank you." She stood up and left the building and back into the rain. She crossed the street looking for a cab when she felt a gentle tap on her shoulder. She turned and saw South standing behind her.

"Grace darling, I haven't seen you in a while," he smiled.
"That wasn't an accident," she replied. What she had seen in this man just three weeks prior was impossible to find now. She looked into his cool grey eyes and feel anger curdle in her stomach.

"Walk with me, please." He offered her his arm and grudgingly she took it. He led her down the street and into a small teashop. "How have you been sweeting?"

"Better than I was with you."

"Now come love, you don't mean that," he said, helping her with her coat.

"You are aware of the fact that I hate you."

"Not truly you don't."

"I do." She gazed upon his face, the face she had thought was so handsome, so full of promise for her. She nearly retched with guilt.

"Why do you feel so opposed to me now my love?"

"I know what you did."

"Oh. Yes, I suppose that would create a bit of distaste for me." He was silent and she let out a peal of laughter, causing the others in the room to look at her, very much alarmed.

"Distaste! You are nothing but a dirty-"

"Now my dear, sweet Grace, you know I love you, Mary was, well, a momentary desire."

"Mary? I was talking about you raping Emilia."

"What?" South asked. "Emilia? I haven't see her in weeks."

"How can you say that?" Grace asked angrily.

"Sweeting, you know that I have been in Ireland for the past few weeks."

"Don't try and lie to me."

"Grace, didn't you get my letter?"

"No." She replied, getting more confused than angry.

"Darling, I never would do that."

"Don't lie." Grace stood up in anger. "I hate you, do you understand that? I would be happy if you died today." She said before taking her coat and storming out of the shop.