Chapter 12

"What?" Samuel asked, shocked.

"I was in London the other day with my mother and I saw a young girl, around Emilia's age with dark dirty blonde hair. She was on the steps of a filthy boarding house. I was in a carriage and didn't see her very well but I could've sworn it was her."

"Where?"

"Whitechapel," came the reply. Samuel swallowed, that street was know for it's whores, drunkards and all round scoundrels. "It was on Adler street," she replied.

"Adler Street?" Samuel asked.

"Yes." She said. Adler Street was known for its brothels and many prostitutes.

"That is not good news. I want to go and see," he said and stood.

"Are you sure?" She asked fearfully.

"I am."

"But we don't know for sure whether it's your sister, I only saw the girl is passing."

"You were convinced before," he said.

"Nevertheless, I don't think you should go," she said.

"Phoebe, you don't understand." He said. "Any hint, any small hint or chance of finding her I need to take," he said.

"But-" she protested but he cut in.

"I must do it," he said.

"I will come," she said.

"No. I won't take you to such places," he said.

"You won't know where to look if you don't," she said. He thought for a moment, she was right. As much as he hated to bring her along he feared that he would have to.

"Alright, come," he said.

They went out and towards the coach house. They found Thomas and Samuel instructed him to take them to Alder Street, Whitechapel. When Samuel said this Thomas' eyes grew wide with fright.

"Sir, you know the East End is no place for a lady," he said.

"I know Thomas, but we have urgent business." Samuel replied calmly.

"But-" the driver started but Samuel cut him off

"You're forgetting your place Thomas," he said icily and Thomas bowed his head and meekly went off.

Three quarters of an hour later the coach stopped at a building in Alder street. Samuel left Phoebe in the coach and entered the dingy brick structure. It was a filthy boarding house that stank of urine and unwashed bodies. He opened the door and saw a dark room with a fat woman with red splotched cheeks and dark brown curls that fell to her waist in matted tangles.

"Yeah, what you want?" She slurred at Samuel. "The whorehouse's next door," she belched loudly and wiped her mouth with a dirty sleeve that once may have been green.

"I am not looking for the brothel Ma'am," Samuel said, wrinkling his nose against the smell of spirits and cheap scents that wafted off the woman.

"What you want then?"

"I am looking for a young girl who was here, blonde, short, slim, about twenty five," he said.

"You mean Amy Newton?" The woman asked.

"Yes," Samuel said. Amy was the pet name he had given his sister, and Newton, well it was a an obvious choice..

"She left this morning," The woman said.

"What?"

"Packed up and left."

"May I see her room?"