Ch 20 Investigation: Sione Lavaki [Friday Morning, Week Two]

Sione strummed a G chord and sang to the chorus of Watermelon Sugar, "Anything but salad eww." Dm7. "Anything but salad eww."

Elizabeth interrupted him. "Just because you made me listen to that, I'm going to make sure we have salad three ways. With plenty of nuts, seeds and berries in them, too." She checked out her reflection in the glass of the display cabinet. "Kitchen duty is bad enough, but I have it with Mirabelle again. I hate her. She thinks she can boss me around! Maybe I'll accidentally drop a cast iron pan on her head. Wish me luck!" She fluffed her hair with her fingers, and left the music room.

"Good luck then, and have fun!" Jarrett called after her, then turned to Sione. "I think I've got it. Listen."

Jarrett played the chords for I'm Yours that Sione had been teaching him on the uke.

The kid had a decent voice, could carry a tune, and even hold his note when Sione harmonized him. Ever since Jarrett revealed his musical potential, they had been spending a lot of their free time jamming in the music room.

"Nice," Sione said. "Want me to teach you another song?"

"Maybe tomorrow." Jarrett set the uke aside. "I have an idea."

"I'm listening."

"While Elizabeth is on duty, we should go ask Volleyball and Blondie to play frisbee or something, see if we can get some info from them and maybe figure out who the secret hater is. We can do it on the sly, and still keep our promise to Elizabeth not to tell anyone. I feel like we have to do something to help her out."

"Good idea." Sione took the uke and the guitar back to their holders. "Can't hurt to try, right? You go ask Blondie--I mean, Kellyn. And I'll ask Hannah. Grab your frisbee and I'll meet you down on the west lawn."

Both girls, surprisingly enough, agreed to join them.

Out in the grass, they threw the frisbee back and forth a few times. But they couldn't have a meaningful conversation while running around the yard. He made the excuse that his shoulder was bothering him--it kind of was, so he wasn't lying--and suggested that they walk around the estate instead. They left the frisbee on a pavilion table and started out on the gravel road that looped around the estate.

The girls walked between him and Jarrett, and they both seemed a little tense. Was it out of guilt? Nervousness? As they passed the Carters' cottages, Sione eased into the conversation by talking about the competition and Trecorin.

Elizabeth expected him and Jarrett to be rude to all of the other girls, but that attitude was difficult for him. He was friendly and kind by nature. Plus, he believed in 'innocent until proven guilty', and all that. Not to mention, you do catch more flies with honey.

Austin came out from around the rock waterfall with a net on a long pole, and began fishing the leaves and bugs out of the pool in preparation for the afternoon's swimming games. Because the guy was looking right at them, Sione saluted him. But Austin went back to skimming without even a nod.

"Maybe it's just me, but I think Austin is super creepy," said Hannah. "He's always watching us."

Jarrett said, "Yeah, I've seen that perv goggling all over you girls."

Kellyn finally spoke up. "I know right! I am with you one hundred percent. I can't believe Aunt Allora allows him to stay here. But get this, I think Mirabelle actually has a crush on him." Kellyn's hand instantly flew to her mouth. "Oh my gosh, I can't believe I just said that out loud. Please don't tell her that I told you. She'll strangle me!"

Sione laughed, thinking it was a joke, but the girl seemed legitimately freaked out. Why would this quiet, shy girl be friends with such an aggressive, pushy person like Mirabelle? "Don't worry. We won't. Right, guys?"