Ch 55 One for the Team: Hannah Frost [Thursday Morning, Week Three]

Hannah couldn't bear the thought of seeing the other kids at breakfast, so she ignored the bell and simply stayed in bed. When Miss Haversham came up to check on her, she told her she was sick and asked if coffee could be brought up to her.

Last night when she'd called home, her twin brother Hayden had commiserated with her and was once again angry and frustrated he wasn't there to help and defend her.

But her mother seemed almost in a panic about Hannah losing out on such an amazing opportunity. She had given lecture #18 about not being a quitter, and went immediately into lecture #26 about how she would develop life-changing empathy and a strong character by enduring such a difficult challenge.

If that wasn't enough, her mom shared a life experience she'd had as a teen when vicious rumors were spread about her by an ex-boyfriend, and the misery she had endured after that. But looking back, she was now grateful because those experiences helped shape her to become the person she is today.

Then Mom had wrapped it all up with a Take-One-for-the-Team reminder about their precarious financial situation and how a little sacrifice and suffering now could likely pay off big later. "Just a couple more weeks. Hang in there," her mom had encouraged. "You'll be glad you did."

Hannah doubted that. In any case, the overall message was that there would be no welcome-home party if she came home early.