Ch 71 Proper Thanks: Sione Lavaki [Sunday Night, End of Week Three]

Sione moved a stained-glass lighthouse figurine on his dresser to make space for his sea turtle sculpture. He stood back to examine the effect. Sea turtles and lighthouses didn't exactly go together, theme-wise. But with the ocean in common, it would work for now.

Back home, the turtle would live more comfortably on the piano in the living room, below a huge picture of an Uoleva Island beach and next to a palm tree lamp. His mom would love it!

Elizabeth had asked him and Jarrett to meet her in the loft at 9:00 pm. She said she needed to talk. It was only 8:30, but he headed over anyway to relax alone, play the uke, and sing for a bit.

He locked his door and followed the corridor to the loft at the back of the castle. There was enough light coming in from the other parts of the castle so he didn't need to switch on the ones in the loft. He settled onto the couch near the entrance and played the first few chords for the new song he'd started writing last night.

He realized he needed the paper with the lyrics because he couldn't quite remember them, but it was back in his room.

Oh well. He played one of their show songs instead. Talia Maia. But he kept messing up.

What was wrong with him?

He stopped in the middle of a strum to gather his thoughts.

For the last several days, different sides of him had been fighting back and forth about Elizabeth. On the one hand, he wanted to stay true to his word to Jarrett. On the other, he felt an intense attraction to her. The inner battle at times felt like it was pulling him apart.

He had to keep reminding himself that being at Trecorin was like living in a bubble, distorting his perspective.

In just two weeks, the bubble would burst and he would be back in Provo. He thought of his family, his church friends, performing in Talavou, his football teammates, and all the beautiful girls at his school. Huge parts of his real life.

He had one purpose and one purpose only for being here, and that was to win. First, the Trecorin Trials, and then the inheritance. If he could keep his focus on that, everything would work out right.

Sione put his feet up on the ottoman, rested his head on the back of the loveseat, and closed his eyes while he sang and played.

He jumped when he felt someone tickle his neck. Elizabeth.

She giggled and sat down very close to him, tucking one leg up, and turning so she was facing him. She was wearing yellow short shorts. Her bare knee touched his leg.

He leaned his head back and closed his eyes again so he wouldn't be tempted to look at her golden tiger eyes, her flawless skin, full lips, silky hair, shapely–. No. He couldn't allow himself to think about her beautiful features either.

He caught a whiff of her intoxicating citrusy perfume. Just two weeks left. Remember why you're here. Remember your promise to Jarrett.

"You're early," he said without opening his eyes.

"I heard your music from down the hall and wanted to talk to you privately for a minute."

She put her hand on his thigh. Her touch ignited his body like a match to a fuel-soaked fireknife.

Focus, Sione. You're here to win. Just two more weeks.

"Really? What's up?" He sort-of half-stood as he set his uke on the coffee table so he could casually resettle on the other end of the couch, out of range of her touch and her perfume.

She reached into her back pocket and took out a folded piece of paper. "The stalker put this under my door when I was in the shower earlier." She flung it onto the section of empty couch cushion between them.