Ch 40 Mysterious Ways: Mrs. Fern Carter [Monday Night, Week Three]

On the kitchen phone, Fern punched in Nancy's cell number. Her fingers were trembling. These darn kids! They were going to give her a nervous breakdown! Thank goodness she wasn't the one wholly responsible for them. Allora rarely got ruffled. She would know what to do.

Someone answered on the other end of the line.

"Fern Carter here," she began. "May I speak to Allora please?"

"Oh, Fern, you are speaking to Allora," said the familiar melodic voice, chuckling. "Nancy is filling out paperwork."

Before Fern could tell her the news, Allora began giving the update on the two injured young ladies. "Sarah is doing very well, but will likely be in the hospital overnight for observation. She was unconscious for such a long period of time. Bless her heart."

"I am so relieved she is on the mend," said Fern. "But--"

Allora continued. "I've already spoken with her parents and assured them that the estate will take care of all the expenses and anything else that is needed, naturally."

"Of course, but--"

"You'll also be pleased to know that our Kellyn will be fine. She has a bruised hip and while there may be some minor nerve damage, it shouldn't affect her daily life whatsoever. She'll be up and around again in just a few days. "

"That is certainly wonderful to hear," agreed Fern. "But I have some troubling news for you."

"Oh? What is it?"

"Two of our girls, Mirabelle and Hannah, didn't come home from the mountain."

"My stars!"

"What should we do? It's almost dark!"

"My dear Fern, don't you fret. As soon as Haversham completes the paperwork, we will be on our way back. All you need to do is keep yourself and the kids calm. Leave everything else to me."

"I know you have your special ways. But it has been hours! What if they fell off a cliff or were attacked by a bear? Or–I know you don't like me to bring it up–but there are other...uh, dangers and things out in the woods. What if it's too late?"

"Let's not even try to cross that river until we reach the bridge," Allora said in a gentle tone. "And right now we are miles upstream. So set up camp, build a fire, and have a s'more. Relax. And again, Fern, let me take care of it."

Fern felt the burden lift from her shoulders. She thanked her and hung up the phone. With renewed hope, she started back to the dining room.

She marveled once again at the little old lady's mysterious ways. Many odd and unexplainable things had happened over the years, but Fern knew better than to pry. She owed her wonderful life here to Allora and showed her gratitude through her unquestioning loyalty.

Sadly, there were not too many years left to the beloved queen of the castle, and that was a very scary and unpleasant thought indeed. What would happen to the Carters when one of these young rascals took over?

Reminded once again of the uncertain, dreaded future, Fern switched directions and went for the pantry. Surely she deserved another quick little nip or two of apricot brandy before facing the kids in the dining room once again.