Prologue

🏎 2022 Car Launch🏎

"Remember, you enter from the left and meet in the middle. No fidgeting and keep your responses short. The lights will dim and that's when you will unveil the car, capisce?"

Alessandro nodded his head repeatedly, conveying that he understood the message he'd heard about five times already.

He sighed, wiping his sweaty palms on his racing suit. His mouth was dry, and he was in desperate need of water.

He glanced at his phone yet again, waiting for a text to appear.

Suddenly, he wished for his teammate to be beside him, but he would be entering from the other side of the stage and the two would meet in the middle.

He could hear the muffled sound of someone speaking to the audience behind the closed doors of the auditorium. Cheering and clapping filtered through the walls of the building as he stood waiting anxiously.

Finally, a notification popped up on his phone.

Kota ❤️: goodluck

It wasn't much, but it immediately eased Alessandro's uneasiness just in time for his appearance on stage.

Back in her apartment in Woking, Dakota was sat on the couch, bundled up in a blanket.

Rain was pouring down outside, as it had been for the past few weeks. It didn't help her dismal mood as she sat watching the reveal unfold on her TV screen.

A man dressed in all black nodded at Alessandro, pulling the door open to let him through to the stage.

"Without further delay, let's give a round of applause for our drivers!"

The sound of clapping was louder than Alessandro expected, adding to his nerves as he came to stand in the center of the stage.

Between he and his teammate lay the 2022 car, covered with a black veil.

"Alessandro, let's start with you. What do you think about the new car?"

The Italian refrained from muttering a 'fuck me' under his breath as he was told to go first.

"It's absolutely incredible. Just from looking at it you can tell it's going to be a good car. The color is stunning and it just looks like it will be a beast on track."

The host nodded encouragingly before turning to address the others. Alessandro zoned out, not registering anything that was being said by his fellow coworkers as they discussed the car.

Only when the lights dimmed and a bright spotlight shined down on the center of the stage, did he snap out of his thoughts.

"Are we ready to see the new 2022 car?"

Another round of cheers erupted from the audience.

After 2 months of anticipation, everyone was ready to see what the new car looked like. The team had done their best to prevent any leaks from getting out to the public. It wasn't rare that a teams car for the new season was revealed before the intended date, ruining the spectacle of the event itself.

Alessandro stepped aside, reaching down to lift the corners of the black veil.

In one swift motion, he pulled the cover off to reveal the brand new 2022 car.

Alessandro smiled, excitement building in his veins.

It was a different shade to his previous car, but it was a change that he was going to have to get used to.

After all, he was counting on it to win him his first Championship in Formula One.