20 - Binned it.

Dakota's POV

"What's the deal with you two?" Zak deadpanned, glancing between Alessandro and I. 

I had walked in expecting this to be a more or less casual chat, but I was unpleasantlt surprised to find myself sitting across from Mattia Binotto. 

Ferrari's team principal. 

"We-"

"She's my girlfriend," Alessandro replied, leaning back in his seat. He avoided my gaze as I turned to look at him in surprise. 

"I'm aware of tha-"

"Since when?" Mattia interrupted, his eyes wide. 

"Since last year."

I frowned as he began rattling off in Italian, clearly unhappy with this new revelation. 

"I trusted you Alessandro."

"I was not obligated to tell you about my personal relationships."

Mattia seemed to get even more irritated and spat something back in rapid Italian. 

"Non puoi biasimarmi per essermi innamorato!" Alessandro exclaimed, making Binotto remove his glasses. 

He pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head. 

"No."

"No what? You can't say no. My relationship is none of your business."

"Yes, it is. Especially when it's all over the news and when it affects your performance. She's distracting you."

Alessandro was out of his seat in a flash. 

"Don't you dare. I put my heart and soul into this sport and this team. Don't you dare say I'm not giving my all, and more. And don't bring her into this."

"It. Cannot. Work," Mattia replied, giving Alessandro a hard look. "She works for Mclaren."

"And?"

"I will not accept this, end of story," Mattia said, getting up to leave. 

"Mattia, just calm down for a moment," Zak said. 

But the Italian didn't want to hear it. He was out the door before anyone could stop him. 

Alessandro sighed, rubbing his face tiredly. 

I swallowed, my throat suddenly dry. 

This could've been avoided if Alessandro had told him earlier. 

"Are we done here?" I asked Zak. 

He sighed, looking between us for a moment. 

"I'll get the PR's to handle this for now. But I think you two need to make a decision on how to move forward from here."

"Thank you," I nodded, standing up from my seat. 

I didn't wait for Alessandro and stepped out of the conference room. 

"Dakota."

"Dakota."

"Dakota."

"What?" I huffed, turning around. 

"I'm sorry."

"Okay Alessandro, apology accepted," I replied and continued walking. 

"No, stop. Don't do that," he said, his voice uncharacteristically vulnerable. 

My heart squeezed at his pleading expression. 

"I'll do anything to make it up to you," he said. 

The dark circles under his eyes made me wince. His hair was a mess from how many times he'd run his hands through it.