IX

2600 YEARS AGO, THE HEAVENLY REALM

He had to defend the heavens.

On instinct Sicheng reached for the power within him, but where once slept the might of the oceans, now there was nothing.

No.

This can't be happening.

Not only had the realm been put to darkness, he had also lost access to his cultivation. If he couldn't use his power now he would be useless against the demons in a fight. He had never held a weapon before; he had never had to fight before. What was he to do now? The other deities must be taken off guard by the events unfolding before him. How would they fare in this impending battle? And Bingwen—was Bingwen alright? Being only a sludge deity would mean he stands no chance against the demons. Sicheng's only consolation was that the Gates of the Dragons were on the opposite end from the portal to the demon world, an entire plateau away.

Bingwen had to be fine.

The most pressing matter was the swarm of demons coming through the portal. He had to get help immediately.

Sicheng turned and raced towards Liling's palace. Wuxian had to be there. The War Deity had to be there to command the legions of the heavenly realm. But when Sicheng bolted into the sumptuously decorated dining hall of the palace he found that it was already in chaos. Heavenly maidens darted about, worry painting their faces. Platters of food had been flung around the room, dinner and wine staining the once resplendent rugs that covered the marble floors. Wuxian was on his knees near a low dinner table and there was someone lying limp in his arms.

When Sicheng got closer he found out it was Wuxian's sister.

"Liling. Liling. What's wrong? What's happening?" Wuxian was clearly distraught. "Please, Liling. Please wake up."

Sicheng began trembling. Why was the Hearth Deity lying still in Wuxian's arms as though she were dead? Was it his fault? Did putting out Liling's fire cause so much more damage than he had anticipated?

"Wuxian!" Sicheng rushed upto the War Deity. "Wuxian, there's an emergency!"

"What?!" snarled Wuxian, eyes feral, lips pulled back to reveal his gritted teeth.

Sicheng swallowed, stealing a glance at Liling. Wuxian must be in a rage now. He loved nothing more than his sister, it would be hard to convince him to leave her side right now. He licked his lips anxiously.

"Sicheng, damn it, tell me what it is!"

"The demons are attacking the heavenly realm!" he blurted out in fear.

"What?!"

"The demons are attacking–"

"I heard you!" snapped Wuxian angrily. His eyes fell on the heavenly maiden that was standing closest to him, tightly holding a jug of water in her hands. "Watch over my sister. I'll go see the situation."

Wuxian didn't wait to see her reaction. He snatched up his sabre from beneath an upended table and leapt off a palace window in a flurry of midnight blue robes.

Sicheng left soon after. He ran through the towns, alerting the other deities if they weren't already alerted. All the while his eyes kept searching for Bingwen. Where was he? Did he manage to escape to the mortal world? It would be best if he did. How unfortunate it was that the demons had decided to attack the moment Heaven's Hearth had been doused.

He hastened towards the next street over, passing deities and maidens and guardians who ran amok with lanterns lit to see in the impenetrable darkness. Guilt was eating him up. What had he brought upon his realm?