Chapter 3: The Waiting Room

Not proofread (mostly, I have been sitting on this so long it is ridiculous)

Hyunjin was looking out of the car window, bored. He was driving home on his own since Jeongin was still busy working on his school project. It made Hyunjin feel almost lonely. Jeongin and him drove home so often Hyunjin had forgotten how monotone and boring it was to be shuttled through the city in a car all by himself.

He had tried making himself tired by staying in the school's dance hall in the after hours where the school was still open to all students but all the lessons had finished. It had not worked. Part of him had hoped that Jeongin would stay at school to work on his project, but according to the younger his project partner, Yedam, had a nice and quiet house and a very cozy couch. Did Hyunjin stay longer at school regardless? Yes.

He had used his two hours of additional dance training to work out the first part of a choreography that he plans on running by a senior student or a dance instructor just to see what he could improve and if the choreography was even useable or just weird. Two hours of constantly moving and looking at himself in the mirror had been more taxing than anticipated. Sweat had been dripping down his face, but after he had showered and changed into his regular school uniform, he had merely felt a satisfying burn run through his body. So, long and behold, Hyunjin was not tired. Not even after those two hours of reworking and repeating the same dance moves over and over again until he was halfway satisfied.

The night has already fallen over the city when Hyunjin had gotten into a car that would take him home. As he drove through his district, staring out of the car window, he saw the night life of the city bloom. The windows of various houses were lit up with all colors of the rainbow, the street lamps were casting their yellow glow onto the dark asphalt and the headlights of the cars passing by shone in bright white. It was a spectacle of varied shades of yellow and white light interrupted by the occasional red of the cars' rear lights. Some may call it pretty, some may call it useless, some may call it even poetic, but Hyunjin called it mundane and boring. The only thing keeping his mind from wandering too far off was the soft music filling his ears from his headphones. The song was without lyrics and lead with a calming melody that Hyunjin had hoped would put him in a drowsy state, but it only made him hum along softly.

He leaned his head against the cool car window, staring at the boring lights of his district. Everything was so awfully plain even with the occasional colorful window. Logically, he knew it all had a purpose, but it bored him anyway. For reasons he could not properly grasped, he really missed Jeongin; he missed the other's witty comments that filled any silence with laughter. It was probably weird that Hyunjin felt so deeply about the other's absence. It was only for a short amount of time. He would hand in that project soon enough, but until then Hyunjin would have to drive home alone.

Hyunjin continued to hum to the music, his gaze watching the world outside of the car. In the distance he could make out blinking white lights. His brows furrowed. Where blinking white lights normal? He wasn't entirely sure, could be some kids messing with a street lamp. It was easy to hack into their systems, so most kids that were fond of coding, tried it at least once. If there was something more serious the Helpers of the district would take care of it in no time. That was their job and purpose, after all.

The car pulled away from the main road and headed down a smaller lane where rows of houses - just like the one Hyunjin lived in - were situated. It became a bit darker without the many car headlights, but the street lamps still illuminated the road ahead.

Hyunjin stretched, knowing the car would soon pull up at his house. A small yawn forced itself out too. Maybe he was more tired than he had thought. He hummed to himself, already eager to crawl into the warmth of his bed. A small shadow moved outside the car, catching Hyunjin attention. The young man blinked tiredly.