Chapter 8: Leaders

Not proofread or edited (because I can do that now. I am evolving but still lazy)

The desert had been replaced by greenery of the forest some time ago, but CB97 still felt uneasy. His nerves seemed not to be up for relaxation, despite him knowing that their bus was the safest place to be outside of their base. For goodness' sake, he designed and then built the bus alongside his group members. If anyone could vouch for its safety, it was him. Still, his brain continued to bug him. What if The System had managed to get important information on their tech? They could start inventing countermeasures for all the little tricks the rebels have used so far. They could fix all the little weakness that the rebellion has exploited so far.

Whatever it was that The System got from Seungmin's memories, he would have to notify the other rebels as soon as he was back in the base. And they would have to pack up everything and move the base to be safe. They could not take any chances. Thinking about this whole mess really didn't help CB97's growing headache. At least, they managed to get Seungmin back and surprisingly save one of the Listies. One that was even put on the list by one of his group members. It was an fortunate circumstance, but he still didn't know how Minho felt about it. He knew with certainty that Han didn't like the whole situation, because he had used a good portion of the drive to complain to CB97 about the familiarity between Minho, who was Han's boyfriend, and the Listy before switching seats with Sunshine. Hwang Hyunjin was the Listy's name if CB97 remembered it correctly.

"How long until the base?" Sunshine, who was sitting shotgun, whined for the third time in the last - approximately - 20 minutes. CB97 still huffed in amusement and silently appreciated the other male for interrupting his thoughts.

"Pull up the map and look for yourself," CB97 replied, putting his full focus back onto the barely visible road before him. The ground was uneven, but they were lucky that it had not rained in the last few days. Getting stuck in the mud would have been a disaster.

Sunshine pouted, but didn't bother to pull up the holographic map. He knew precisely where they were in the catalogued maze of hidden routes and paths. He was just bad at calculating how long it would take to get to the base. After all, Sunshine was a runner. He was supposed to know all the maps and their routes and shortcuts by heart. The redhead sunk further down into his seat and sighed.

"We should be at the base in like half an hour if I'm not too far off," Sunshine grumbled.

"Why do you ask me when you know it anyway," CB97 chuckled, glancing at Sunshine for a short moment before focusing back on the road. Judging by the thickness of the branches above the bus's roof, forty minutes might even be generous.

"You're better at estimating time than me and you literally remember all the trees surrounding the base," Sunshine mumbled.

"That might change again soon," CB97 sighed. Sunshine sat upright again, gaze casted outside.

"I know, but at least we managed to get Seungminnie back," Sunshine agreed. "It would have been awful if we would have to put him on the list."

"You know I would never let that happen, Felix," CB97 said, glancing at the other rebel. "I won't let The System get its hands on you or anyone of our group."

Felix looked over at CB97. Despite only seeing him from the corner of his eye, he knew that Felix's smiled warmly. It was one of the reasons his cover name was "Sunshine".

"I know, hyung. Thank you," Felix almost whispered.

"Don't mention it," CB97 replied, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. It was an open secret that CB97 would literally die for his group members and their cause. The System had taken too much from them and one day they will bring it down. Until then they had to do their best to help others while keeping themselves safe.