Chapter 14: Theta

"Katie!" Mickey called out in panic. "Where'd she go? Where'd he take her?"

"No time!" The Doctor dug inside of his jacket and pulled out a cylinder, the power cell recharging for the Tardis. Pointing it towards the cyberman he pressed a button and the Cybermen in front of them was atomized by golden energy.

"What the hell was that?" Ricky asked.

"We'll have that instead. Run!"

They take off. Around the corner, someone honks the horn of a green van. The van comes to a stop and the women driving slides open the door. "Everybody, in!"

"I've got to go back. My wife's in there."

"Anyone inside that house is dead. If you want to help, then don't let her die for nothing. You've got to come with us right now." The Doctor's voice came out fast.

The woman driving continued to urge them in. "Come on! Get a move on!"

Rose still didn't want to move, tears pricking the corners of her eyes. "Rose, she's not your mother."

"I know."

"Come on."

"Finished chatting? Never seen a slower getaway in my life!" The woman pulls away from the curb giving the Doctor and Rose a chance to look at her. She was slim woman with thick, curl brown hair and matching eyes. She wore a hoodie and athletic pants.

Rose watches out the window as more Cybermen march in.

"What was that thing?"

The Doctor pulls the charging tube out of his pocket and tosses up and down. "Little bit of technology from my home."

"It's stopped glowing. Has it run out?" Mickey asked worriedly.

"It's on a revitalizing loop. It'll charge back up in about four hours."

"Right. So, we don't have a weapon anymore." Rickey rolls his eyes.

"Yeah, we've got weapons. Might not be one of those metal things, but they're good enough for men like him." The man who had arrived with Ricky and Mickey spits. His name was Jake, he had short ginger hair and a sneer on his round face as he glared at Pete.

"Leave him alone," Rose puts her hand across Pete's chest. "What's he done wrong?"

"Oh, you know, just laid a trap that's wiped out the Government and left Lumic in charge."

"If I was part of all that, do you think I'd leave my wife inside?"

Ricky shrugged. "Maybe your plan went wrong. Still gives us the right to execute you, though."

The Doctor's expression grew dark. "Talk about executions, you'll make me your enemy. And take some really good advice. You don't want to do that."

"All the same, we have evidence that says Pete Tyler's been working for Lumic since twenty point five."

Rose rounds on Pete. "Is that true?"

"Tell them, Mrs M."

Mrs. Moore, the driver, spoke up from the front. "We've got a government mole who feeds us information. Lumic's private files, his South American operations, the lot. Secret broadcasts twice a week."

"Broadcast from Gemini?" Pete asked.

""And how do you know that?"

"I'm Gemini. That's me."

"Yeah, well you would say that."

"Encrypted wavelength six five seven using binary nine. That's the only reason I was working for Lumic. To get information. I thought I was broadcasting to the Security Services. What do I get? Scooby Doo and his gang. They've even got the van." Pete shook his head, disappointed.