XIX.

CHAPTER NINTETEEN
[ taken ]
(trigger warning - sexual assault)

CHAPTER NINTETEEN[ taken ](trigger warning - sexual assault)

Rick completely disappears. Goes down to the tombs and only comes back once, to check on Carl. And then he's gone again. Glenn and Maggie decide to go on a run to look for more formula, and they invite Misty along. Though she isn't thrilled about the idea of third-wheeling with Glenn and his girlfriend, she says yes. She will do anything to get up and do something. Anything to forget.

On their way out, and on his way to look for any stray walkers deeper inside the prison, Daryl stops her. "Hey."

"Yeah?" His fingers brush her arm to stop her.

"You goin' out there?"

She nods. "Yeah. Me, Glenn, and Maggie."

"Runnin' away?"

"No," she denies, then sighs, and says, "maybe. But I just need a distraction."

"You still here?"

"I'm still here," she confirms. And she is. She has done her best to, despite the deep sadness in her heart, stay present. To not fade away. Because it is not often that Daryl Dixon makes such a request, and she intends to keep her promise.

"Stay safe." A gentle pat on her shoulder and he's gone, followed by Carl and Oscar.

She takes her gun, but leaves her bow behind, deciding she probably won't need it, and meets Glenn and Maggie by the car, who both ask how she's doing. Terribly, she wants to answer. "Fine," is what she tells her two worried friends. But Glenn is doing just as bad as she is. The bags under his eyes give him away.

They get into the car, Glenn driving and Maggie beside him. Misty sits in the back, watching the trees go by as they drive down the road. Soon, the car pulls up in front of the store, and the three of them step out into the hot sun. Glenn goes first, and begins rifling through the place.

Maggie notices something inside and smiles, before telling him, "Glenn, get that duck." Misty looks closer and indeed, there is a little plastic yellow duck inside.

"What?" He answers, laughing a little.

"Get that duck."

"Really?"

"Yeah. A kid growing up in a prison could use some toys." Maggie looks over at Misty. "Don't you think, Misty?"

"Definitely," she agrees, nodding her head. He does grab the duck, and then Misty and Maggie go in to help him. They collect everything they can find, including plenty of formula. "Well, we just hit the powdered formula jackpot."