XXIV.

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
[ the plan ]

In the morning, they decide on a plan

In the morning, they decide on a plan. They know that the Governor is coming to kill them all. So they have to decide: stay and fight, or run away? In the end, they pick both. Make them think they've gone, and attack when they least expect it.

They pack up their things, a tedious process, but if their plan works, it will have been worth it. They empty the prison, load everything they have up into the cars. After she's finished with hers and Addie's things, Misty goes to find Daryl, who is sitting next to his motorcycle.

He'd told her everything the night before. Told her how he'd found Merle a walker. How he let Michonne go, and sacrificed himself to give them a chance.

They stay there in silence for a while, before Daryl says, "you know, Merle never did nothing like that his whole life."

She doesn't doubt that. "He gave us a fighting chance. He died a hero. You should be proud."

He only nods in response, and she offers him her hand to pull him up. He gives it to her, and she hauls him to his feet. Once he is on his feet, their hands stay clasped for just a moment too long. Misty lets out a shaky breath and leaves him to his bike, her hand flexing as she walks away.

It isn't long before the Governor comes. He and his men pull into the yard, though not before blowing up two of their guard towers. They enter the prison, and find it empty. Five minutes later they're running for their lives, finding the tombs filled with smoke and walkers, and being shot at by Glenn and Maggie.

When they're finally gone, everyone gathers in the courtyard, a feeling of tentative triumph in their hearts. "We did it," Rick declares, "we drove 'em out."

"We should go after them," Michonne says, and they all know that she's right. It's not done yet.

"We should finish it," Daryl agrees.

"It is finished, didn't you see 'em hightail it out of here?" Maggie says.

"They could regroup," Michonne points out. Could, and will, Misty thinks. The Governor is not the kind of man to just accept defeat and give up.

"We can't take the chance, he's not gonna stop," Glenn says, determination lacing his voice.

"They're right, we can't keep living like this," Carol agrees.

"So we take the fight back to Woodbury, we barely made it back last time," Maggie argues, just wanting it all to be over.

"I don't care," Daryl says, a man who has been out for the Governor's blood since they learned of his existence, and even more now.