Chapter 2 - Elementary Evil

Art by ⍟{dคяłłε¡ห}⍟ on Amino •

Chapter release - 25/03/2022 •

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

'Ugh, I feel like shit' You groaned, hands reaching out and flopping aimlessly in the dark. The lumpy pillow that was your newly acquired bag did not do wonders for you back, especially with a Tupperware box packed inside.

"Nice of you to finally join us" Bierce's sharp voice cut through your clouded mind. You groaned once more before blinking open your eyes.

"Hmmnn... Who's us?" You managed to grumble, flinching at the bright lighting of the ballroom. The sound of harsh tapping echoed throughout the pocket dimension, the sound of Bierce's high heels. You rubbed your eyes and looked up to meet the teal gaze of your boss.

"Never mind that you've been passed out in my ballroom for almost ten hours" You shifted into a sitting position, cracking your back and sighing in relief as it popped quietly several times.

"Rise and shine, mortal," That same voice remarked, still as deep and thoroughly pissed off as you remembered from the hotel.

"Ignore him" Bierce grabbed your hand, helping you hoist yourself to your feet. Behind her you heard that voice growl, probably rolling his eyes.

"Uh, thanks" You stretched your arms above your head, relishing in the way your muscles stretched. If you weren't dead right now, you would've marvelled at the fact you didn't feel tired at all. Since when did you wake up and not feel tired? Miracle.

While Bierce strutted back over to where she was arguing with the disembodied voice, you took a slice of the banana bread the Murder Monkeys gifted you. While it was no longer warm, it still tasted just as sweet. You guessed things didn't go off in this world? Or get stale? Or whatever bread does. Meanwhile, Bierce and a giant eye watched you, intrigued.

After noticing their looks (and the giant eye) you just stared back, slowly chewing before reaching in and grabbing one of the water bottles and taking a big sip.

"Watcha... Uh... Watcha lookin' at?" Bierce huffed and walked over to the winged statue. The eye stared at you for another breath before it blinked close.

You didn't get an answer. The eye didn't open again or utter another sentence and Bierce seemed far too invested in the new glow the statue had taken on. Faint and purple, but still somewhat noticeable. The ring piece you recovered from the hotel was probably lodged somewhere in the ring alter in the ballroom.

You sighed and slung your backpack over your shoulder, shuffling over to where Bierce was standing and muttering quietly to herself.

"The ring is called the Riddle of Heaven. An ironic name, don't you think? A demon's power is contained inside it: the creature of infinite cruelty that you just met. . Malak" She finally broke the silence.

You glanced in her direction, then back at the eye. That was Malak? He didn't look like much, just a singular eye in the wall.

"Complete the ring, and you can use Malak's power to fulfill your darkest desires...or so the legend goes."

You scoffed. Sounded reliable.

"Never trust legends. There's always a catch" Bierce raised an eyebrow in your direction, but she didn't make an objection towards your statement.