Chapter 17

Maxine

"Yung totoo, Maxine.. may gusto ka ba sa best friend ko?"

Napatayo ako ng marahan habang nakatingin ng derecho sa mga mata ni Michelle.. Should I be honest?

"You know that I don't have to answer you, right?" I calmly said but I still kept my gaze on her with neutral expression

"Then why are you doing all this special treatment to my bestfriend kung wala ka naman palang gusto sakanya? Others might take it the wrong way if you're just being friendly to her..or worst—you might confuse her" i was taken aback by her straight forwardness but nonetheless I was just keeping a neutral expression.

"I don't want to say anything because my words can be used against me, I will talk to you If the timing and the place is right, Michelle. I won't hurt your best friend" I exhaled the air that I was holding since she started speaking to me

"Kayong mga law students masyado kayong playing safe eh, Let me just remind you that you have a boyfriend—"

"You don't have to rub that on my face, alam ko ang ginagawa ko.. I don't have bad intentions to your friend—"

"Yeah right, you won't hurt my friend? Care to explain what happened yesterday? Why the hell is she bawling her eyes out? No bad intentions yet I find you sneaking to her when nobody's looking.. Let me clear things out—Ayoko umabot sa point na makita ko na naman siyang umiiyak at nasasaktan " the distance between us, even though it's six feet away— I still find it uncomfortable because of the tension that surrounds us.

"Look, Michelle.. I'm not really in the mood to argue because first of all my foot is bleeding second of all my eyes stings from that dive.. I will talk to you when I am ready and if you're calm" napatingin siya sa kaliwang paa ko na dumudugo nga may nasipa kase akong malaking coral habang sinasagip si Hailey

"I will watch your moves, Maxine" she exhaled the air that she's been holding and to be fair—she has all the rights to be mad at me, pinaiyak ko ang best friend niya. My nerves are starting to relax as I can see the mood change and the tension between us—vanished.

"Sit down and don't fucking move, gagamutin ko yang sugat mo" I have no other choice but to sit down, kinuha niya ang first aid kit sa may closet at saka lumuhod sa harap ko tinitigan ang sugat ko. Of course she's a Med student, she doesn't mind seeing or touching wounds..

"I'm going to touch your foot" paalam niya saka niya dahan-dahan na inilagay ang paa ko sa tuhod niya

She disinfected her hands first using the rubbing alcohol, poured alcohol on the cotton balls and the remaining was soaked with betadine solution. Ipinahid niya ang cottonball na may alcohol sa part ng paa ko na walang sugat to disinfect my skin saka naman niya kinuha ang cottonball na may betadine solution at direktang pinahid sa sugat ko napakunot ang noo ko—I hissed and she started to gently blow on it. It's painful.

"I'll get some pain reliever in my bag and prescribe you some medicine when we get back to the Metro, for now.. keep it dry and clean. You have an inch of laceration here and scratches  but don't worry visit ka lang sa derma department para mabigyan ka ng ointment to avoid deep tissue scarring sabihin mo lang patient ka ni Dr. Hirai" she said habang dahan-dahan na nilalagay ang square bandage sa sugat ko saka ito ilapag sa sahig.

"Thank you" I said sincerely

"No worries, it's my job as a medical practitioner to help people kahit na naiinis ako sakanila" she said while slightly rolling her eyes.. she can be intimidating sometimes.

"Maxine?" Pareho kameng napalingon ni Michelle sa Banyo.

"Hmm? I'm here" sabe ko saka nag lakad papunta sa banyo