•Chapter 10•

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

•Ray of Hope

└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

Training was as hard as you expected, you passed the "orientation" and it had been two weeks since you got here. You were starting to realize your mistake, you couldn't save Ruka.

Her illness was fatal and it was already too late to do something about it. You realized the only thing you could do is talk Shinjuro out of it, it was gonna he had for sure but if your words don't work then you might have to take the notes by force in order to protect them from his wrath.

Currently you were doing exercises with Kyojuro as Senjuro and Shinjuro watched. One was watching in awe as he took a break and one was observing both of you to point out your errors.

Shinjuro closed his eyes and hummed, seeing how you were adjusting to the training with not problem. He could've sworn you were doing better than Kyojuro but he shook his head declaring that it was just his imagination.

'This kid is definitely in shape, she's adjusting to the exercises with no difficulty at all. Impressive' he thought as he watched you and Kyojuro do squats, Kyojuro was making small talk as you responded with quite short but good answers.

"Father, don't you think they should take a break now? They've been repeating these exercises for 5 hours" Shinjuro snapped out of his observant thoughts as he turned to the owner of the voice, which belonged to the youngest shrimp head.

He blinked before looking back at the two children who was now doing push ups, Kyojuro was praising the girl for her impressive performance.

He nodded, finally responding to his son. "You're right Senjuro" he replied as he patted him softly before standing up to tell the two children to take a break.

The two children perked up as they stopped doing what they were doing. You were immediately on your feet as you dusted yourself off.

You turned to Kyojuro who was still in the floor, recovering from the exercise. You offered him a hand with your usual nonchalant expression as his breathing and expression quickly softened at the sight. He looked up at you with a big smile as he happily accepted.

"You have dirt on your cheek" you told him as you pointed to your own cheek. He blinked owlishly before he rubbed the dirt off.

"Thank you, Y/N-San!" He said loudly with a closed eyed smile, you squinted as you were quickly blinded by the sight. He laughed at your antics as you chuckle a little.

"Alright you two, stop loitering around. You still have to do sworn training so hurry up and take your break" Shinjuro called out from the engawa as he shook his head at the two.

You and Kyojuro had gotten close despite only meeting 2 weeks ago and having the polar opposite personalities. At least, that's what the Rengoku family saw. To you, all you were doing was training and sure you had your moments of fun with them but you always snapped yourself back into focus.

You didn't want to get distracted from your goals. That's what you always responded with when they would ask and they would just nod in understanding as a response.

"Right! Apologies Father!" Kyojuro nodded as he looked to his side, where you were nonchalantly idling. "We should go, Y/N-San!" He said as he offered a hand for you to take.

You looked at his outstretched hand and raised a brow. He blinked before taking the hint that you were confused.

"I want to escort you inside! Y/N-San!" He explained as you deadpanned at him which caught him off guard as he flinched at your gaze.

"I can see that, I was just wondering why you needed to escort me that's all" you said as he blinked in realization.

"Oh" he responded with his owlish eyes and smile. His hands were now on his hips as he stood there awkwardly. You pat his back to snap him out of it as you gestured towards the engawa.

"Let's go, Shrimpy" you said as you started to walk away with your hands behind your head. He blinked at the nickname before following you with a happy expression.

But when he did, he tripped and fell. His face dug into the dry dirt as he fell rather stiffly as if he just accepted his fate before landing with a loud thud, causing you to turn back to him as his Father and Brother looked at him with dotted eyes.

"Wah! Aniki are you-" Senjuro was the first one to snap out of it as he reached to help his brother but got got caught off by you walking past him and towards his brother.

You stopped in front of him as you crouched to the ground level. You pat his back as you spoke, "Ya good? Did you break you nose?" You said with a rather casual tone as if it happens every day.

Kyojuro looked up at you, his body still on the ground but his head was turned up towards you. His face had a red mark because of his impact, as it was accompanied by dust and his usual smile.

He held up a thumbs up as he responded with his usual tone as if he didn't just plunge into the earth.

"I am just fine Y/N-San! I have suffered worse!" He reassured you and his brother as he didn't make a move to get up.

You noticed this as you laughed quietly, you softly and playfully hit the top of his head with your fist as you had a grin on your face.

"You're so stupid but you're so admirable at the same time" you said as your grin never faltered. Kyojuro laid there, staring at you at awe before he laughed along with you.

"OI, do you two want the food to get cold? If so then I'll just have to eat it all by myself" Shinjuro joked as both you and Kyojuro flinched and turned to each other before wordlessly racing into the mansion with competitive expressions.

Shinjuro chuckled at this as Senjuro gawked at both of your speed.

Ruka heard both of you running in the hallways as it was accompanied by a few giggles from the both of you. She softly smiled at this before looking out by the engawa. Her smile turned into a sad one as she sighed.

She hoped you would help her family when her days come to an end. When all falls down, she hopes that you'll be the ray of hope that will snap them out of their grief.

[ Kevdaisy Here's your Kyojuro falling on his face scenario 🙄 ]