V: Art of Ignorance

Art of Ignorance ✷  Chapter Five

     Parties were just another reason for people to claim you were gummed and stick to you like honey.

She could not be sad because her friends got drunk with her laughter every time, swigging shots and bottles as if it was never going to dry. Sweets with sour edges, melting in the mouth like hard candies with soft interiors. The annual Stars Hollow High party was always her stage, and she was going to teach everyone the wonderful art of ignorance and everything it could offer to the overheated adolescent brain. Because no one could understand her advantages and disadvantages as much as the exalted brunette, with the sunset at the tip of her tongue.

She was really just a cliché American teen: Sneaking out to parties, drunk on rooftops, high behind brick walls, cigarette in-between her lips and blankets draped over her lap and shoulders that smelled like spilled fruit-punch, staying up all night, dreaming about (im)probable ambitions like traveling all around the world with nothing in her pockets but chapstick and a book. Getting a fake ID made behind the plain white wall, in front of the staircase in the back of the Stars Hollow High, was just something everybody went through.

Sun dawned the house of teenagers like a swarm of bees. The Kegger, the September love-drunk called it. They set coolers on the ground, leaving behind them traces of melted ice leading up the kegs Kitty managed to con one of her friend's cousin into letting them get for extra cheap, batting her eyelashes. Bitter beer pooled under, the stench sticking to the walls like skin to skin as the teens danced, red solo-cups in one hand.

She was sure a bunch of teenagers were doing hard drugs in the backyard, little baggies tugged inside their pockets and bras and sometimes boxers depending on the size of the component. Some were on LSD, some were smoking weed, some were snorting cocaine and some were doing nothing at all, simply enjoying sobriety. Teenagers were all the same, in a way.

Kitty was elbows-deep in a cooler of large blocks of ice, melting, and bottles of cheap liquor some of her friends brought on as they partake into the party. She had Heath Carter's hat over her head and a wide smile on her face as she held a beer up to Kenji Sato, who grabbed it absentmindedly while telling her nonsense about how he was sure a red-head girl behind the trees was dropping signs that she was into him. She obviously wasn't.

Her breath smelled like vodka. One of the bottles her friends brought her singing loudly to an indistinct song, tastes like bubbly dish soap but she drank it anyway.

Hours prior, Teddy had tied the overly-long laces of Kitty's converses around her ankles while her and Kenji were opening the bags of red solo cups. Teddy then vanished amongst the crowd with Kenji and barely resurfaced for a refill while Kitty partied with Heath.