2. si vis pacem, para bellum

Julie

Julie

We rented a house away from civilization. We couldn't risk to be seen together. It was nothing special, just enough for the months we'll spend here. I actually also rented one more apartment right in the center of the city. In case we invited people to our houses, we couldn't tell them that we live together. We aren't even supposed to know each other.

I closed the door behind me and I leaned on it. A deep breath that I was probably holding the whole day, escaped my lips.

What the hell were we doing?

Luke was working on his plan, giving me some space. I walked in front of the mirror and took a look of me. I noticed my shaky hands, so I hid them in fists.

That's what we do, Julie, we rob.

I sighed and moved my glance from my hands, back to the familiar figure in front of me.

Tomorrow is the big day.

You can do it.

Next day

The coffee shop was almost empty, making the sound of my heels against the floor even louder.

Reggie's eyes fell on me and he greeted me with a big smile. I was slowly realising why his friends call him a sweetheart.

"If it isn't for Julie.", a soft laugh escaped my lips.

"Missed me?", I left my bag on the empty bunch and sat next to him. I made my order and then turned my attention back to him.

"Who wouldn't?",his presence was enough to calm any tensed muscle in my body.

"How you've been?", I asked him resting my chin on my palm.

"Good, good. Now, let's get to the real reason we're here.", the blood inside my veins froze as I felt cold sweat on the back of my neck.

I furrowed my eyebrows in return, "the guy from yesterday. As you can see I kept my part of our deal."

A sigh of relief escaped from my lips.

Thank God.

"Well, I can't see him anywhere.", I said with a teasing tone. He softly smirked and nodded towards the side that I wasn't facing.

"Of course.", I mumbled. I turned around, trying not to make too obvious that I was staring, and I noticed the familiar figure talking with a blonde guy.

"He is with a friend.", I insisted. Reggie rolled his eyes and took a sip of his coffee before getting up.

"Come on.", he took my hand inside his and gently moved me towards the other two.

"What are you doing?", I could see the pure grin from enjoyment on his face and I realized that he was just having fun with it.

So, I played along.