Chapter 3

Winter Rose's pov

It's finally time! It's been a whole week, and I've trained every single day! I decided to ride in the hot air balloon with Applebreeze instead of the royal carriage with Mommy. Mommy actually insisted I ride the balloon to "gain the experience", whatever that means. 

It was super fun, but Applebreeze didn't let fly next to the balloon like she was. I bounced around the carriage excitedly. Next to me a carriage with Aunt Cadie, Uncle Shiny, and Flurry flew past us. 

I waved to them, but they didn't notice. The balloon landed on a big cloud and Applebreeze finally let me fly out. I flew behind Applebreeze to a big snack table. 

"Here, have a quick snack. You'll need the energy." 

Applebreeze handed me a plate with a slice of apple pie and a small cucumber sandwich. I ate happily before Flurry stormed over and knocked my plate out of my hooves. 

"You don't need to eat anything. You're already big enough."

She smiled meanly at me and walked away. I got to the ground and started cleaning the spilled food off the ground.

"Sweetie?"

"Hi Aunt Cadie!"

"Did you drop your plate? Here, let me help you."

Aunt Cadie used her awesome magic to pick all the food off the ground. I brought over a waste bin with my magic and caught the food. She ruffled me hair before walking over to Mommy. 

"Winny, here."

I turned to Applebreeze and she handed me another plate. She sat next to me as I ate so Flurry wouldn't try to knock my food over again. After I finished eating she took me to where the games were. I won a smiling apple stuffie for Applebreeze, a big pink butterfly for Aunt Cadie, a happy cloud for Flurry, and a huge rainbow for Mommy. I gave them all to Applebreeze to hold on to while I got my number and waited in line. My number was number 6. Mommy loves the number six so it's my favorite number too. 

Flurry had the number one. She was super smug. I rolled my eyes and spoke to the nervous boy next to me. He was light blue with a pale yellow mane and tail.

"Hey, you'll do great! Don't worry about anypony else and fly your hardest."

He smiled nervously at me. 

"You too. Good luck."

I smiled at him and looked up at the Royal Booth. Mommy, Aunt Cadie, and Uncle Shiny sat. I waved to them and got ready. 

"Flyers get ready!"

I bent my knees. 

"Fly!"

I started flying wing all my strength. I quickly overtook everypony in the race. Even Flurry! I just made a sharp turn when I saw Flurry kick the boy I was talking to earlier. She kicked his wing, causing him to fall. I fell after him and caught him. I held him on my back and felt my eyes change to the pretty green glass look Mommy loves. 

I started flying again. I was so mad! Why would Flurry Heart hurt someone! I forgot to put my new friend down. I flew so fast Flurry Heart was nothing but a pink blur. I passed the finish line, but I couldn't stop flying. A lot of pegasus tried putting clouds in front of me, but I flew right through them. 

"Can you still fly?!"

"I think so!"

"Good, I'm going to let you go!"

I let go of him and the pegasus help his with a cloud. I couldn't stop flying until a loud bang happened. I turned around and saw a purple and green rainboom! I closed my eyes and remembered a spell in Mommy's book. I squeezed my eyes tighter and focused my magic. I heard a pop and opened my eyes to see a tree in front me. I quickly closed my eye and felt my horn dig into the tree. I opened my eyes again.