2

“Laz couldn’t just leave them there, Mother. You know that.”

“Yes, Kirex, but we don’t know what happened. They could very well have a family here already-“

"They don't! He found them beside a Natural city. Why would they be there if they had an Unnatural family?”

As I came back to consciousness, I could hear what sounded like two people arguing. When I opened my eyes and sat up, I immediately noticed a very, very tall woman wearing a large black hat and long black dress, brushing against the floor. She was quite chubby; a rare sight in Natural cities. We lack decent food there. Her hair was long and silky, nearly reaching the floor, and pitch black. Her skin was as pale as a vampire’s and her eyes were as red as a demon’s. My heart lurched as I came to the realization that she’s neither of these things.

The other was also quite tall with dark skin and even darker hair in braids. He was wearing a green formal shirt with a black trenchcoat over it. He had a proud stance and from the looks of it, was not someone you would want to mess with.

I managed to croak out a “hello?” and they both immediately turned to look at me.

The woman turned and walked out after saying, “Talk to them and find out. If you’re correct, I will organize it.”

The man answered, “Yes, Mother” I assume he’s her son then. Funny, she doesn’t look that old!

I stiffened and sat up as he started to walk towards me.

He sat down beside me, sat his hands in his lap and asked, “What is your name?”
I gulped and forced out,

"May.”

He didn’t answer, instead chose to stare at me. His eyes were a shade of ebony, but slightly more brown. It felt like he was staring into my soul, judging me. I gulped again. Finally, he queried,

"Are you sure?”

I stared back with my hazel eyes in confusion. Why would I not be sure?
I tried to answer ‘Yes' but it instead came out as “Yes?”

He continued to stare deeply. I’m ashamed at how long it took me to realize what he wanted.

"No...”

“What is it then?”

I thought long and hard over that question. Maybe a few seconds.

"Maple. Like the leaf.”

He nodded in response, then asked,

“What age are you, and when is your birthday?”

I replied, “16, and my birthday is the 14th of November.”

He then said, “Alright. My name is Kirex, second in line in the Crossfire Family. I am 25. You are currently in Zarka, the heart of Unnatural cities.”

He continued on, “My older siblings found you bleeding out near the edge of our territory. Do you mind explaining how that happened?”

I hesitated at the question due to shock. An Unnatural city? Was I even welcome here, after living with the humans for 16 years?

I finally answered in a shaking tone,

"Someone seen me talking to a bird inside my city and reported me... I was shot just outside our gates and forced to run. Eventually I collapsed against a tree, and I guess your sibling found me there...”

My voice started to waver towards the end.

“Am i allowed to be here?” I asked in a weak voice.

He looked at me with a strange expression.