5

I woke up to the sound of birds singing outside my window. It wasn’t a song I recognized this time. The events of the day before hit me up the head like a brick and I groaned. A knock on my door encouraged me to practically fly off my bed. Mom used to get pretty pissed when I slept in...

"Maple, Kirex requests your presence for breakfast. Take the same path you took last night to get back to the dining hall.”

An unfamiliar voice came through my door. The same path? I was half asleep last night! With a scowl on my face I went to look through my wardrobe, and my scowl was instantly replaced. I had been in my school uniform since I fainted, so it was a great relief to finally have my dungarees and simple t-shirts back. I quickly got dressed and found a pair of boots to wear. I put my gold, shoulder length hair in a low tie. Maybe I could get it cut while we’re out?
I stepped outside my room, looked left and then looked right. I didn’t have the slightest clue where to go. Deciding to take my chances, I went right and started following the left wall.

After wandering for a few minutes I got hit right in the face with a door. I groaned and stumbled backwards before catching myself.

“Aw shoot, are you okay?” Salazar asked. Well, I guess I found his room.

“You’re so silent when you walk. Normally I hear everyone else from two halls away!”

He joked and seemed pleased with himself, then he remembered where he was and made an ‘eh' noise.

"I’m okay,” I assured him. “It wasn’t that sore.”

He sighed in relief and started to stare at me. Great. How does someone so laid-back switch up so quickly? I shuffled and shifted my weight from foot to foot, avoiding his intense gaze. After about 20 seconds, he blinked rapidly and gestured with his neck for me to follow

“How do you like your room?” He asked me. “It took Athair an awful long time to figure out how to do it. It’s even more complicated than my room!”

“I like it,” I replied. “What’s your room like?”

He answered instantly, “A fairly normal room. But, I have a tree in it. Diá and Athair couldn’t figure out how to keep it alive at first. Took them days!”

I hummed. Then, I finally plucked up the courage to ask,

"What does Diá and Athair mean?”

Salazar looked at me, surprised, but quickly recovered.

“Old Gifted language. It means mother and father. In that order. Do they not teach you that in school over there?”

“No?” I questioned. Why would they? Naturals hate Unnaturals. Especially the ones from ancient times.

"Huh. I always thought they taught that. The Regal seems to know, so...”

Regal Harrison knows their language?

"Nobody really speaks in it anymore though. Just a few odd words, like mom and dad.”

He straightened up and crossed his arms as we reached the dining room. I should have memorized that route...

"Good morning! We were wondering where you were.” Aime exclaimed in a cheerful mood. He always seems so happy. How does he do it?

At the same table as last night, Aime sat with Kirex beside him and Verdia on his knee. Keyser sat quite literally on the table, colouring in a messy drawing I couldn’t make out.

"Morning,” I responded. I sat down in the same spot as last night, beside where Keyser had her stash of stolen food items from the others at the table.