8

I screamed before I could stop myself. I rushed forward to try and reach him, but Kirex gripped my shoulders and tugged me back. I looked at him in exasperation and he frowned. Was he just going to let his brother die?

Crya got off her knees and cracked her back.

“Well, I’m sorry you had to see that,” She taunted.

The roots had quieted, but there was one speaking to me still. I stayed quiet to listen. Crya continued,

“I did actually like that boy. He was sweet. But orders are orders, I’m afraid!”

Kirex practically snarled at her.

"Who are you?”

She scoffed.

“My name's Andria. Shocker, I know. See, my higher ups gave me this assignment. They told me to kill the heir during the attack, so I did. No hard feelings.”

No hard feelings? Seriously? I didn’t even look at her as I listened to the roots. Then I spoke up,

“You created that ravine, didn’t you?”

She looked at me, concerned. She reached up to her eyes and took out the gold contacts, revealing icy blue eyes. A colour only Naturals are capable of being born with.

“I’m a Natural. A human. Surely you know that?”

I shook my head.

"No.”

I repeated what the roots had told me.

"You’re a genetically modified human. The only one alive, as the rest were all killed off in testing. You’re like... an artificial Unnatural. A fake one. Nothing like us, but the same too..."

She had no words, too concerned with the fact I knew all that.

“You little... You’re a freak. A mutant. I should just kill you right now, watch-“

She was cut off as I rugby tackled her into the ravine. She screeched and shrieked like a banshee.

At the same time, Salazar pulled himself up over the ledge and hooked his other arm around me, stopping me from teetering over the edge. He grinned down at me. I stared at him in shock. How could anyone survive that fall?

“That was amazing. Not even I would have the balls to do that!”

He pushed me gently away from the edge, and I shrieked at the sight of the other side of his head. He had a huge gash leaking dark, thick blood, and his entire left eye was just gone. He flinched at the sound of me and his right eye flicked around looking for help.

I stared, horrified, as Sandigo tried his best to heal what was there. Kirex just fell over and sat in the mud, watching. He was tired.

“I can’t bring back your eye. There’s nothing there to heal from...” Sandigo forced out. When the wound was closed, Laz laughed.

“I’ll survive without it, don’t worry!”

I was starting to think that his laid-back personality and jokes were just a way of helping the people around him cope. He was definitely not okay. The roots told me so.

His left eyelid was completely shut, and he had a visible scar running from his hairline to beside his mouth. But as expected, he was smiling. He tore off a piece of his shirt and tied it around his eye.

“Until I find myself a cool eyepatch,” he said. Kirex groaned.

I watched Salazar, concerned. He noticed and his smile faltered for a second, then recovered and he winked at me. (Blinked?)