Chapter Two

...

In the early morning light, Richard lay in bed, savoring the comfort of the moment. Although he was wide awake, the allure of his cozy cocoon made it challenging to muster the will to rise. Nestled beside his partner, he relished the warmth they shared. As his mind meandered through the events of the previous day, he remained acutely aware that, despite his constant reassurance, the others weren't feeling particularly confident in how the day had ended.

A contented sigh escaped his lips as he casually crossed his arms behind his head. Glancing down at the girl beside him, a gentle smile graced his features. Her body pressed against his, creating an intimate connection that brought him solace. However, the tranquility of the moment was disrupted by an unspoken unease that lingered in the air.

Noticing the subtle distress in Kori's expression, Richard couldn't ignore the underlying tension. Concerned, he broke the comfortable silence. "What's wrong?"

Kori circled her finger around Richard's chest, a small sigh escaping her lips. "While I'm happy that yesterday's mission ended successfully, I still feel that I could have handled the situation better." Her initial excitement, fueled by the prospect of new uniforms and a real mission, had gradually given way to self-doubt despite the victorious outcome.

"Oh, come on now. You did great." Richard said in an attempt to reassure her. "No one even knew you were struggling with what to say." His words were meant to provide comfort, but Kori's lingering insecurity persisted.

"I appreciate your unwavering support." Kori acknowledged, her voice still carrying traces of uncertainty as she slowly pulled away to sit up. "But I fear that if another situation like that arises, the outcome might not end as victorious."

Richard sat up, mirroring Kori's seated position, and his hands found their place on her shoulders, a comforting weight that conveyed reassurance. "Don't lose confidence in yourself." He urged, his touch gentle as he began to rub her arms in a rhythmic motion. The tenderness in his voice matched the sincerity of his words. "You were great yesterday, and you will be great again."

Despite absorbing his words, Kori turned away, the conflict within her apparent. "I might be sufficient at fighting." She admitted, her voice exhibiting the weight of vulnerability. "But when it comes to a situation where I need to use my words, I'm not as experienced."

Richard lifted her chin, steering her to meet his gaze. "Kori, you're not just sufficient. You're amazing." He affirmed, looking at her directly. "You have good instincts, and as long as you follow them, then I know you will make the best decision you can make." A small smile broke through on her face, accompanied by a light blush in response to the compliment. "If you think you need more guidance, I'm sure I can make some time for us to have some private sessions." Richard suggested with a playful smile.

Kori's face immediately lit up at the prospect. "How about later today?" She asked eagerly.

Richard, however, had different plans. "Actually, I have a very specific day planned." He explained, slowly moving off the bed to get dressed. Kori tried not to show her disappointment as she watched him. "I have a special guest coming to help with training today." He continued, slipping on his pants. "Someone I am really looking forward for you to meet."

...

Raven sat at the kitchen table, bathed in the soft glow of morning light and enjoying a late breakfast. Before her was an open book, pages turned by fingers adept in the delicate dance of reading, and beside it was a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air, a comforting accompaniment to the tranquility of the moment. Her caffeine consumption, once a crutch for navigating the day, had evolved into a moderate enjoyment on occasion rather than relied upon.