Chapter Eight

...

Richard sat in the dimly lit computer room, his gaze fixated on the monitor before him, the glow reflecting in his intense eyes as he replayed the security footage. The room was bathed in the soft hum of technology, and the glow from the monitors cast a shadow on his face, accentuating the gravity of the situation.

The footage unfolded like a haunting narrative. Cadmus's swat team barged into the Tower, executing their intrusion with military precision. Richard's jaw clenched as he witnessed the calculated assault on Kori and Garfield, catching them off guard. The flickering images on the screen portrayed his friends putting up a valiant fight, but the inevitable conclusion loomed before him. Kori, faced with limited choices, reluctantly succumbed to the overwhelming force against her to save Garfield.

A remorseful sigh escaped Richard as he dragged his hand down his face, the weight of regret settling heavily on his shoulders. Concern for his friends intensified, amplifying the sense of responsibility that weighed on him. He should never have left them. He should have stayed at the Tower, where he could have protected them.

"Feeling remorse isn't going to help them." Raven's voice cut through the silence, making her presence known from behind him.

"I know." Richard acknowledged, his tone heavy with guilt. "I guess I put too much faith in her. I just assumed she would know what to do in this situation."

Shocked by his critiques, Raven regarded him with a mixture of confusion and condemnation. "You saw the video, Richard. Kori had no other choice."

"There is always another way." He responded sternly, his mind racing with scenarios of how he could have handled the situation differently.

"Even if that were true, she did the best she could." Raven spoke, her tone holding a nuanced understanding. "Kori is very skillful with combat, and that has blindsided you." Her voice cut through the air, her words carrying a weight of insight that demanded Richard's attention.

Richard furrowed his brow, absorbing her words with a mix of curiosity and confusion. "What do you mean?" He inquired, turning around in his chair, eager to grasp the perspective she was presenting.

"Have you considered that maybe you've been giving her special treatment because you're sleeping with her?" Raven suggested, shining a light on the revelation.

"What?! That is ridiculous." Richard retorted, his outrage evident at the mere suggestion.

Raven, undeterred, stood her ground, her arms crossed as she continued to articulate her perspective. "You're not as hard on her as you are with us." She pointed out, her gaze steady. "Yes, you could argue that she doesn't need as much help. But that only applies to the knowledge she has on warfare. For you to assume she knows everything about being a hero or a leader is foolish on your part. She's an alien, for crying out loud."

Richard felt a pang of defensiveness, realizing that Raven's assessment had struck a chord. "She knows a lot." He asserted weakly, aware that his argument lacked conviction.

However, Raven didn't let up. "I know she knows a lot." She acknowledged. "But she doesn't know as much as you. Just like all of us, she has much to learn. And I know she's been trying to tell you that."

A moment of realization washed over Richard as he recalled Kori voicing her insecurities about being a hero, along with her persistent requests for private training. It wasn't just about spending time alone with him but a genuine need for guidance in refining her skills.

The weight of Raven's words lingered in the room, prompting Richard to reconsider the dynamics within the team. The shadows cast by the monitors seemed to reflect the internal conflict within him as he grappled with the realization that his assumptions might have obscured his judgment.