Chapter Four

...

In the hushed tranquility of early morning, the sun's tentative rays had barely risen above the horizon, casting a soft and golden glow over the city. The spring air carried a subtle chill, not yet fully warmed by the gentle touch of sunlight. In this serene moment, nature itself seemed to be awakening, orchestrating a symphony of sound as robins, blackbirds, and other early avian inhabitants filled the air with their melodic morning songs.

The city, wrapped in the ethereal embrace of dawn, stood still, a quiet witness to the unfolding day. The muted palette of predawn hues painted the landscape, creating a tranquil and introspective atmosphere.

The Titans were early risers that morning, each with their own reasons to be up at the crack of dawn—some preparing for an early flight, while others lingered to share heartfelt goodbyes with their friends.

Richard meticulously arranged their bags in the back seat of his car before turning to Raven. "Ready?" He asked, the morning sun casting a warm glow on their faces.

Kori, sensing the impending departure, took the initiative, turning to Raven for a farewell embrace. "I hope Bruce is able to teach you what you desire to learn." She said, holding Raven tightly, the genuine warmth of her wish palpable.

"I hope so too." Raven responded as Kori released their embrace, a subtle sense of anticipation hanging in the air.

Turning her attention to Richard, Kori took a deep breath, attempting to conceal her emotions as she approached him. With a silent understanding, he enveloped her in a comforting embrace, and she held him tightly, as if trying to capture the essence of the moment. "We won't be gone long." He reassured. Their connection evident in the tender hold they shared. "You sure you guys can handle being alone at the tower?"

Kori, lightly pulling away, offered him a reassuring smile. "I'm sure we can manage." She assured him, her confidence belying the tinge of sadness that lingered beneath the surface. Before he could respond, she leaned in and kissed him goodbye, a poignant moment that spoke volumes in its simplicity—a farewell sealed with the tenderness of a shared connection and the promise of a return.

With an almost theatrical display of hesitation, Garfield took a large step towards Raven. "I can't believe you are going to train with Batman." He exclaimed, his voice a mix of awe and incredulity.

Raven turned to him, a glimmer of amusement in her eyes. "You act like I'm going to come back as the new Robin."

"You could." Garfield responded with a casual shrug, as if entertaining the possibility.

Raven shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips. "Extremely unlikely."

Garfield, ever the playful spirit, shifted gears with nonchalance, scratching the back of his neck. "Anyway... do you think you can get me an autograph?" He asked with a hint of hesitation.

"It won't be a priority of mine, but if I think of it." Raven responded, her tone carrying a touch of humor.

Garfield couldn't help but smile at her response before taking the initiative. Leaning forward, he provided his own farewell embrace, the genuine sentiment behind it unmistakable. "I'm going to miss you... guys—both of you." He corrected himself quickly, realizing the awkwardness of his words. "Both of you equally." A brief moment of confusion flashed across Raven's face, and he realized it would have sounded a lot less weird if he hadn't corrected himself.

Raven, ever composed, quickly disregarded Garfield's peculiar behavior, attributing it to the emotions stirred by their impending departure. "Just enjoy the break from Richard's training while it lasts." She advised with a warm smile.