4. Cutgro - Lost In The Ice

Buckle up and get the popcorn! This one is going to be an extra-long adventure!

This is an au of the 'Iced Out' episode where Cutter doesn't save Aggro in time

A cold wind seared along Cutter's wings as he dove over the icy waterfall. A freezing water spray was thrown up in his face as he plummeted.

'If I can just get close enough to fire...' He thought as he squinted through the frigid mist down after the falling Fire Fury.

Warmth swirled up in his chest and he prepared to let out a burst of fire, one last desperate attempt to save Aggro. He hoped with all his heart that it would work as he let out a large stream of flame downward.

Hisssss

The fire sizzled against ripples of water and he realized with horror that he'd been too late and Aggro was already beneath the frozen waves. His heart lurched and a dark cloud spread over his mind.

'I can't lose her!' The feeling of heartache swept through. He hadn't known Aggro for very long but his feelings for her stretched to the moon.

Against his better judgment and his instincts, he squeezed his eyes shut, tucked in his wings and dove in after her.

His world blacked as he was nearly shocked out of consciousness by the subzero temperature of the river. Numb, painful feelings highlighted every part of his body. He forced his eyes to open and saw nothing but blurry, dark water.

He flapped his wings, determined to try to find the surface as his breath gave way. His head burst out of the water, and for a moment he could see the deep star-flecked night sky, before he plunged back in, determined to find Aggro.

After several rounds of dunking his head up and back down, completely disoriented and not knowing where the river was taking him, he finally noticed a patch of ruby red scales caught between two ice chunks.

'It must be her!'

He tried rapidly to swim deeper in that direction, but his sharp spikes were no use for swimming, and he felt he was being pulled the opposite way. Still Cutter tried, and at last he caught onto floating surface ice, worked frostbitten legs up onto it, and now could jump right to where he saw her.

Another cold splash and he saw what was happening. It seemed Aggro had grabbed a floating ice chunk, only for the ice to get lodged into the steep drop sides of the ice river, tipping below and forcing the Fire Fury just underneath the water.

He rushed over to her, and crammed his sharp claws into the edges of the ice that was encasing her. While he was doing that he was also furiously looking over at her face to make sure she was still conscious.

His heart broke as he realized her eyes were unfocused and staring off into the distance, only when it seemed she came into some sort of a right mind and noticed him that his hope was restored.

Aggro's eyes widened when she saw him, and she seemed to come back to life. She started struggling again, barely, as he clawed at the ice.

With all that he had left Cutter moved his tail and stabbed his large tail spike into the ice, wedging the ice clear of her.

But just as that happened the entire ice chunk came loose, it lurched back up, smacking Cutter square in the nose.

It didn't deter him though, no matter the pain, he reached over and grabbed Aggro, helping her get back up. The two breathless dragons broke the water's surface, gasping for air.