Chapter Thirteen

"What" Zaffre prayed it was all a joke, but the somber look didn't leave Lenny's eyes.

"I ran here as fast as I could after the royal messenger left. He gave a whole announcement and everything, they're sending people to gather 'soldiers'," Lenny added tearfully.

"But they can't! I can't! The farm! Dad..." She trailed off at the end, her eyes turning to her mother. How could they do this? There hadn't been a draft in centuries, didn't they have enough people in their royal army? It simply couldn't be happening. Zaffre knew there was a war, she'd always known, gods her father had fought in it! The war, however, remained to the east. On the edge of Vale Havon and on the western border of Aberon. The two kingdoms had been fighting over who knows what for three decades. No one in Westwood even knew why they were at war, that's how irrelevant it was to their section of the kingdom.

What did Aberon want? Why did they have to steal her away from her home, her family? Aberon was a desert kingdom, lost to the sands long ago. Most knew them to be poor and of little importance. Until thirty years ago that is. They struck and they struck hard, surprisingly doing well against Vale Havon forces. It was surprising and worrying. Everyone thought they had nothing, yet they were starting a battle against one of the strongest kingdoms on this side of the hemisphere? It seemed unreal, but the fight continued. Aberon held their own, and the two armies had been in constant conflict for decades. Now it appeared, Vale Havon was on its last legs if it was calling for reinforcements made of its own common folk.

Realizing the truth, Zaffre could only tear up in her mother's gaze. Jahzarni for her part already had the salty water dripping down her cheeks. A deep sadness weighing her down. With slumped shoulders, the two women embraced. One a mother desperate for her daughter to stay. The other is a young woman unprepared for a life away from home, a life at risk on the front lines. They sobbed as the news settled in their bones. Grasping onto each other as hard as they dared, Lenny stepped back as the personal moment was not for his eyes.

"How long before they come?" Zaffre sniffled as she eventually let go of her mother.

"Three weeks," Lenny's voice came out a melancholy whisper.

...

Three weeks felt far too short for Zaffre. The first two days after receiving the news she and her mother simply sat around as if already grieving her death. Freya, bless her, had simply followed her around as she moped. Eventually, her bond tired of her depressed behavior and urged her to get back on her feet. The task seemed impossible, however, with the looming arrival of her departure already two days closer.

"I don't know what to do," she'd cried. Her face nestled in the warm chest of Freya.

The Pumeon nudged the top of her head with her nose.

The touch sent the same weird tingle down her body and when she opened her eyes she was seated on the water-covered ground of the soul plane. The abyss around her seemed to match her dismal mood and only continued to cry. She remembered having wished she could've stayed there if only to escape her seemingly ineluctable fate.

"You can not cry forever Zaffre," Freya spoke without remorse.

"Why not?" She'd asked as she turned to face her bond, the blaring light of their bond stone almost making it impossible to see her.

"War is coming whether you pout about it or not, and I don't think pouting is your style." She'd said amusedly.

"Freya you don't understand, I can not leave them, if I am gone the farm will not run, and my father will die. He needs almost constant supervision and that cannot happen when I'm not here!" She was urging the beast to understand, but the milky eyes of Freya only stared at her.

"So don't leave."

She'd said it so simply that Zaffre almost scoffed. What had she meant when she said 'don't leave'? Of course, she had to leave, the Royal Court was sending their messengers to collect anyone they could find to fight! It was impossible to avoid them. Or she had thought.

Through a very careful discussion, Freya had convinced Zaffre that hiding away from those on their way to collect her was possible. She simply had to live life as if she didn't exist. No going to town, no leaving the farm, and by no means interacting with anyone aside from her mother and Freya. It all made sense really, her mother could explain to the people what Zaffre would be doing, and make them understand it was what had to be done. Jahzarni could be quite persuasive, so Zaffre wasn't worried. It seemed full proof. Once the conscripter's left she would be free to resume life as normal. Simple.

That was what happened for the next two weeks. She didn't leave the farm and simply did her work. Both she and her mother were overjoyed at the prospect of Zaffre not going to war. Hiding away was the solution that hadn't even crossed their minds. She would forever be grateful to Freya for suggesting it. Getting to stay with her mother and father without the fear of being stolen away was more than a blessing. Freya enjoyed some extra petting for being so helpful.

The days turned into a sort of routine. Zaffre hadn't realized how much traveling to town every few days or so had broken up the monotony of an agricultural lifestyle. Yet, she would take months of boredom against having to go to the eastern border. She knew she was not fit to fight in a war, she could barely wield her father's sword in any capacity, let alone swing it at the enemy. So, she harvested berries, fed the chickens, and groomed the horses. A little playing with Freya thrown in the mix as well. Except nothing lasts forever.

Zaffre learned that to be true when she realized it was only the calm before the storm.

Word Count-1044

A/N-

Sorry if this chapter was more rough than others! I edited it on my phone!