Chapter Eighteen

"What is the meaning of this?" The voice was strict and powerful, as well as distinctly female as it left the figure.

    "General! We got word of a beast attacking the city, we were merely attending to the call when this, uh, the woman stopped? The monster," a panicked guard said off to the side.

    "She is not a monster, she is my bond!" Zaffre butted in before the shiny soldier could respond.

    At her admission, the people around looked at her and Freya as if she'd said they were about to commit murder. All the soldiers held their swords at their sides as no immediate threat seemed to be there. The woman who'd entered into the interaction by horse finally lifted the helmet off her head as she started walking toward Zaffre. The leopard was at the woman's heels, but wary of Freya as they approached.

    "You are bonded to the Pumeon?" The armored woman spoke disbelievingly. Zaffre looked at her a moment before responding. Taking in the short-cropped hair, fierce gray eyes, and distinct features. The woman seemed quite powerful even with a curious expression.

    "Freya is my bond" Zaffre nodded.

    "You are not noble?" The general lifted a brow. Zaffre wanted to be upset at how the woman did not believe her, yet could not blame the lady's skepticism. She herself had not believed it when she found out she was connected to the beast.

    "There have been others who weren't noble with bonds," she replied.

    The woman glanced down at Zaffre's clothing before bringing her eyes back up to her. The outfit the Felipara wore clearly marked her as someone without money as the shirt and pants were old and of little value. They'd clearly seen hard use which put more incredulity within the general's gaze.

    "You are without status, that hasn't happened before either," she paused as if to prove her point, "However, the fact no one has been harmed or eaten speaks more than any words." The general smiled kindly at Zaffre. She turned her sharp eyes to Freya before nodding at the Big Cat who gave a soft chuff in return.

    "Let's bring this news to the palace shall we?"

    Zaffre's eyes widened at the words. She was about to meet royalty.

...

    The journey to the castle was much smoother with the general leading their procession. Though, most people still looked at Freya in fear despite her calm attitude. Zaffre could not believe her eyes when the massive building came into full view. She stepped out of the carriage holding back gasps even as her mouth fell open to gape. She could've sworn the place smelled of self-important righteousness. She had to admit that even though it was over the top, the palace was beautiful.

    Truly a marvel, the white stone building rose high in the air with its innumerable stories. Zaffre nearly thought that the highest towers truly brushed the clouds they looked so high up. It was all grand with no cut corners and all the fixings. Almost hard to take in, Zaffre felt overwhelmed by the sight of the castle. Having the giant building in front of her brought all her grief of missing home forward in her mind. It made her glad when Freya came up to her side, her presence one of reassurance and comfort.

    The general stepped toward her as she left her stead to a stable hand. The tall woman wore a smile on her face that shined just as her armor did. Her eyes were kind as she approached Zaffre and her bond. The leopard who remained with her followed dutifully. When she was only a couple of paces away she stopped, leaving her own bond standing wearily at her side as it glanced at the much larger predator that was Freya.

    "Ready to head in? I must take you to meet the counsel, a bond like yours has not occurred in centuries," her voice was soft yet firm. Zaffre got the feeling she had no choice in the matter.

    "Can Freya come in as well?" She asked the question hesitantly. She feared if the answer was no.

    The general seemed to see her inner worry as she nodded before responding. "Yes, some of the hallways may be a bit cramped, but there should be a route to the meeting room that your bond can fit through."

    Zaffre let a sigh of relief before nodding and walking forward. The experienced lady soldier kept pace with her as they entered through the large castle doors. She was astounded at their size as the massive doors were at least two meters taller than Freya. The rich wood they were made of clearly heavy as two entry guards pulled them open by a contraption of wheels and pulleys. However, the doors were nothing compared to the interior of the royal building.

    Light and airy with the same white stone for the interior walls the castles inside were full of life. Windows bathed the entry in sunlight and made the grand foyer look ethereal. A massive duel stairway led to two opposing hallways on the next floor, clearly indicating separate wings of the castle. Plants were seated in pots on end tables that sat before hallway entry's on the first floor. The General and her bond lead her and Freya down a hallway to their right, cutting off Zaffre's admiration of the room.

    It was only a few hallways later that Zaffre knew herself to be lost as she followed the woman. Many twists and turns, five flights of stairs, more turns, and then they were outside a magnificently carved door. The wood, which she guessed to be mahogany, had beautiful designs etched into its surface. The images range from flowers, the royal and kingdom crest, to a scene of animals clashing violently. She wanted to stare at the carvings for a while longer, but a servant stationed outside pulled the doors open and the General strode in.

    Nodding to the staff, Zaffre didn't look back as she entered the room. She froze as soon as she did, however, and almost wished she could turn back. The rectangular room held a large circular table seating in the center. The back wall was made of crystalline windows that looked out upon a vast expanse of the royal land. To the left wall, large bookshelves were filled to the brim with a wide array of books, and to the right large tables were covered in many plates of fine food.

    Zaffre paid no mind to any of the interiors of the room and only saw the people seated at the table. She only heard the lanky and expensive-looking man seated in the chair most entry-facing as he spoke. The shock of his words filled her and paled her skin. She didn't even hear as the general responded to him. The man she recognized as the king, had referred to the general as his wife.

    She'd spoken to the Queen of Vale Havon as if she were a commoner as if she were of the same status as herself. Zaffre nearly fainted where she stood. 

Word Count-1194