Waiting game

Evan couldn't stand the waiting. He paced in the hallway as they took care of Scarlett. She had a seizure, Evan thought back to Vinny. If Vinny didn't have a seizure he never would have got the courage to call Scarlett. Evan wasn't looking where he was walking, he was just pacing, pacing rapidly back and forth, back and forth.

"Woah" Evan collided with a man sending his papers flying, then falling gracefully in between them.

"I'm so sorry" Evan bent down and started picking up the papers but the man stood, starring at Evan unable to believe his eyes. Evan noticed his stare and let his whole body sigh. He couldn't deal with another person saying do you need help, or what's wrong with you? Evan scoped up the rest of the papers and thrust them at the man. "Sorry" he said again more bitter this time as he turned to pace some more.

"Evan?" Evan turned back to the man, he looked familiar but Evan couldn't place him.

"Yeah." The man dropped his papers and hugged Evan.

"I have been praying for you, praying for you for years! It's great to see you." The man's strength was squishing the life out of Evan.

"Um, Hi." Evan started gently patting the man on the back, "Who are you?" Evan tried to figure out who the man was, but he really hadn't seen anyone is years since his accident, everyone he knew would look very different by now.

"Oh sorry" the man let go of Evan his face filled with joy. "I'm Mark, Mark Green, from-"

"Mark" Evan hugged him this time knowing who he was this time. Mark was the one that brought Evan to the hospital when he had his accident. He waited with his parents for hours upon hours. He was the only one to ever visit after that as well. Evan hadn't seen him in years but hoped he was doing well. What was he doing here? Evan released Mark and smiled.

"What are you doing here?" They both said and smiled.

"I'm a doctor now" Mark said regathering his papers.

"Here?"

"No, I work out of New York but there was a liver that got shipped here, my liver." Evan rose a brow in surprise. "Well, not my liver, but my patients liver, I flew it here this morning. What are you doing here?"

"My friend was in a car accident, she is in the ICU" Evan pointed to her room, hand shaking at the thought of Scarlett still lying in that bed.

"I'm so sorry" Mark looked to the door seeing the rush of doctors and hearing the unsteady beep of the machines. "My patient is in recovery, I can wait with you." Mark offered as he moved Evan to a chair.

"Yeah, that would be nice."

"Tell me how you've been. It's been a long while since I last saw you."

"You first. When did you leave the army?"

"Soon after dropping you off." Evan leaned back into the chair and tried to take slow deep breaths. "After seeing how all the doctors helped you, I knew that I wanted to help."

"Serving overseas wasn't help enough" Evan joked, squinting his eyes to hold back tears.

"After Micah and you, I lost my bravery. I finished my term and got an honorable discharge."

"That's excellent"

"I went to college and post grad, and it was a lot of school." Mark leaned back as well soaking up the moment of stillness. Mark had been rushing around nonstop since eleven last night. He needed caffeine or a nap, but being with Evan eased his migraine and soothed his worries. "I'm a second year resident but I'm top student" Mark said with pride.