Life and death

Jack was dead. She wanted him out of her life but, dead? She pondered the idea of life with him always around the corner and the reality of getting bulldozed and ending up in the hospital and having Jack dead. She loved this risk better. Each time she woke up from surgery her first thought was 'if I survive I want to be with Evan.' She didn't think about Jack and his violent tendency, she didn't think about him at all. Scarlett only thought of Evan, when she got better she wanted Evan and only Evan for the rest of her life. Knowing Jack was out of the way entirely though, Scarlett felt a wash of relief. As if God put Jack there to rob the bank, to overdose, and placed Scarlett at the green light that she at first thought ruined her life, she would have gladly had him run into a pole and not her but God works in mysterious ways. Maybe God did have a plan for everything because dumb luck didn't seem plausible for this situation.

River and Mollie came to visit Scarlett in the hospital. Even Dr. Anne came in seeing as though both Evan and Scarlett missed appointments, which wasn't like them, she investigated and was glad she did. It made Scarlett realize how loved she was. She had her parents, Liz, River, Mollie, Vinny and Skippy and Evan, her wonderful perfect Evan. As they all surrounded her, she thought that this must be what heaven is like, minus the pain radiating her whole body.

Scarlett was able to go home after almost two weeks in the hospital and Evan didn't want to leave Scarlett's side but that was unrealistic because he had a dog and work. He brought his computer so he could do his transitions at her bedside, and picked up Vinny and Skippy for Scarlett's pet therapy for a few days. Otherwise Scarlett's parents, Liz and Evan took shifts suffocating Scarlett with love.

"Go home and get some sleep... on a real bed." Liz had said when she came in with an ice cream cone. "She's asleep her parents went home to get some sleep, they said she can go home soon." Evan didn't like the idea of leaving, what if something happened? What if something went wrong? "You can't watch her like a hawk her whole life Evan." Evan knew he should get some sleep but he knew that when his head hit the pillow he was lay wide awake and unable to think of anything but Scarlett.

"I will sleep when she is home." Evan said while getting settled on the couch, Liz tapped her heals as she went to join him.

"I talked to River and she made sure everything is set for Scarlett to go home,"

"She's not going home. She's coming back with me." Liz's raised brow and tight lipped smile told Evan it wasn't a good idea. "I love her and she is coming back with me. I will sleep on the couch and she can take my room."

"Like a hawk." Liz warned.

"Just until she's able to take care of herself again." Liz nodded in agreement. River had two jobs and Liz already took off so many days so she couldn't take off a lot more to take care of Scarlett. "It's what's best. I work from home, I can get her medications, clean, cook, do everything until she is able to them herself." Liz nodded once again, Evan thought this through.

"She is really lucky she found you."

"I'm the lucky one."

"Morning gorgeous" Scarlett's smile made all Evan's worries go away.

"Hi handsome." Evan still thought the idea of him being called handsome was ridiculous, but she said it anyway. Even with her short hair, tired swollen eyes and stitches that covered her body, Scarlett looked beautiful to him.

"The new Sarah J. Maas book came out..." Scarlett said as Evan walked through the door with her tea. "Do think that we could-" Evan pulled out the book from behind his back and Scarlett's tired eyes lit with joy. The golden spark Evan used to see every day was slowly coming back.