~Chapter 1 -- The Shadows~

"-Okay class, don't forget to turn in your homework assignments before the end of tonight on HAH.com-"

I sigh shutting my broken screened laptop quickly ending the malboard meeting online, my parents screaming at each other as usual in the background as I grab my bag making my way forwards, slamming the door open from within my room. It wasn't much, for the most part it was mostly empty. There were a few unwashed plates on the small wooden desk that sat at the foot of my twin sized bed, which had a window beside it, black curtains shut tightly as to keep the sunlight from coming in.

I walked through the now open doorway, the broken glass crunching beneath my torn and beaten up tennis shoes.

Rounding the corner I quickly duck as another wine glass shattered on the side of the wall where I had just been standing. "Mom, Pop, I'm headed out-"

"YOU FAILED US AGAIN!!!" My mother said screaming, quickly landing another punch on my fathers chest as he grabbed her squarely on the shoulders glaring as she hit him with an untamed fury in her eyes, which were red rimmed from the many days of no sleep and drugs.

"Says the one getting just as addicted to the drugs as I already am-"

I headed straight for the door ignoring the both of them slamming the door shut behind me as I looked forwards glaring.

The streets, filled with dust and broken down cars, stood as a reminder of just how poor we had become. So poor we couldn't even afford to drive our own vehicle, which we scrambled up the money for just before the new tax law was passed out.

Walking through the brown yard, the grass and flowers long but dead, I tugged my hood over my head with my bag slung over my shoulder as I headed out into the crowded ally ways, the glass, screws and other items crunching beneath my shoes.

The eyes of the poor or homeless followed me as I walked past. I knew what they were looking at. My torn jeans said as much along with my black hoodie and black shirt.

'At least I have clothes... most cant even afford bread now a day's I quickly give them a slight glance and turn walking into another part of the alley-way that was covered in graffiti.

The bricks, long and rusted, were home to many who sat in the alley-way. Waiting... for what we were still unsure. But whatever 'It' was, I hope it comes soon... I'm not sure how much longer humanity can take of such vile-

"Well, what do we have here... Another one of your 'Adventures' I presume? So where are you going this time you little freak?" John said, one of the main bullies in town. Jumping from his high point on a nearby dumpster, he walked forwards meeting my gaze.

As his shoes hit the ground I straightened watching as he strode towards me. "Why would you want to know. It's not like we're friends anyways."

"Oh yeah? But you were so generous to me the last time you came around here?" He says pointing to a scar on his neck. "Don't you remember-"

One of his gang members snicker making a gesture at me. "Yeah boss, they're quite the generous one-"

A knife sunk into the side of the wall where the man stood, making him straighten, his eyes wide with shock, and fear.

With a harsh glare at him from the side, John growls. "Did I ASK you to speak?"

The man swallowed hard as sweat quickly lined his brow. John snickered. "That's what I thought."

"You know, I have somewhere I got to be so if you wont mind just letting me go-" I say beginning to move to the side.

He glares harshly moving with her blocking her path grabbing another spare dagger from the left side of his belt pointing it straight at her now. "I don't think so. You're not going ANYWHERE until I get back what you stole from ME!"