Chapter Ten

It has been a long, successful day. We drop Casey and Luca off, before heading back to the beach house. The night is still young and the breeze from the ocean is perfect for the hot tub, so Katie and I decide to relax. Katie has spent all day talking to Zack—which I'm not bothered by at all because they want to spend time together. I think Zack feels bad about it because he declined our offer of getting in the hot tub. So, he's off somewhere in the house probably sleep or watching television.

I really don't mind that they want to spend time together. I can have fun by myself. It's the Luca Novak part that makes me cringe. It seems like he's always at every corner and I'm always the one stuck talking to him. We are supposed to go to Disney World tomorrow, and I just know he's going to be there because Casey is coming. Hopefully this time he will have the guts to say he came on his own free will.

"This is nice." Katie hums, closing her eyes and tilting her head back. She raises her arms and rests them along the top of the hot tub.

"Yes, it is." I nod my head, wiggling my toes by a bubble jet.

We have been walking around all day, so it feels good to relax and get off of my feet for once. There is nothing else like relishing in nature in the nighttime. There is a constant swoosh sound with every wave pulled by the moonlight. The wind creates a rustling sound of the leaves from the palm trees. There is even laughter from others on the beach, but they aren't that close to us.

"So, did you have fun today?" She asks me.

"Yeah, I had a nice time." I smile. "Sent my mom about a million pictures."

"I'm sorry if it seemed like I was preoccupied with Zack today." She frowns. "I really didn't get to talk to you much.

"Girl, it's okay!" I chuckle. "I promise I'm enjoying myself. You two can talk all you want. Well, I'm enjoying myself besides Luca."

"Oh my gosh, was he bothering you today!? I feel so bad." She says.

"He's just . . . weird." I try to find the words to describe him.

I don't know why I don't tell her about everything he has said to me today, including the flirting. Maybe I just want to keep that part to myself for now. I am still trying to decipher everything, so I'd rather not open a loose can of worms. It's strange because somehow I've been thinking about him ever since we dropped them off at their hotel. It is one of those instances when someone leaves you in shock so much that you can't help but to think about them. It's not like I like the flirting. It's more that I am shocked he would even say something like that to me.

"Oh gosh, Casey said that he tagged along today willingly." She states. "Maybe he'll hang with some friends tomorrow or something. We cannot let Mr. Grumpy ruin our Disney World experience together."

"Oh, I'm not worried about that." I wave her off. "I know how to tune him out."

We spend at least two hours in the hot tub, talking about anything and everything. Once we realize our skin has basically turned into prunes, we make our way inside to prepare for bed. I'm sure Katie sneaks off to Zack's room to kiss him goodnight. I take a quick shower to get the smell of chlorine off of me, before hopping into bed myself. I turn on the television to pick a show or movie to fall asleep to. While browsing the channels, I receive a text message from an unsaved number. It is Luca's number from earlier tonight.

It's almost two o'clock in the morning.

I unlock my phone to see a surprising text message. This night is just full of surprises.

Good night. You looked beautiful today.

I would be lying if I said my heart didn't nearly beat out of my chest. What is in the air tonight? Is he on some type of drugs? He just called me beautiful and told me good night all in one sentence. I will admit, the message is flattering, but it leaves an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. What does Luca want? I don't know why he's texting me when it's so late. I don't even know how to reply. I contemplate saying good night back, but I don't want him to read too far into it.

I even contemplate saving his number. Who am I kidding, though? I will most likely never have to contact Luca ever again. This trip will probably be the only time we speak a few words to each other. He will go back to being the douchebag he is once we're at school. I will go back to being the girl who sits behind him in psychology class, and the one who honks her horn at him for taking her turn. There really isn't much to it. I don't even think he's attractive. I've just never looked at him in that way before.

I do decide to text him back, but only because I don't want to be rude. He did take that wonderful picture of me, and I could ease up on being mean. I'm surprised he even said something nice because he stormed off on us earlier. He just shut down and walked away, which I didn't mind at all. It just greatly confuses me that he seems to be alright now.

Thank you, I text back.

I regret sending the message the moment he responds back.

No good night?

What are you even doing texting me at this time of night?

I just wanted to talk to you.

If you say so.

I'll see you tomorrow, beautiful. Sweet dreams.