Chapter Fourteen

I can honestly say that I had a pretty good day. As I lay down in bed, looking out the window at the night sky, I cannot help but think about Luca. What he did today was completely unexpected and nothing of how I imagined him to act. He just gave me his shirt to sit on out of nowhere. We didn't even talk the rest of the night. After the rest of the group came back from the bathroom, the show started, and we just watched it all unfold in front of us.

We talk on the way to the car, but everyone is pretty tired. I take a short nap on the drive back to the beach house. We drop Luca and Casey off on the way, but I was knocked out so I didn't even know that they had gotten out of the car.

Katie, Zack, and I talk in the kitchen for about ten minutes before we all go our separate ways to our bedrooms. Zack's room has its own bathroom attached to it, but Katie and I have a jack and jill bedroom that we are staying in. I let her take a shower first, and then I get in shortly after her. I call my mom and speak to her for a while. By the time I got off the phone with my mom, it is already one o'clock in the morning.

I am not even sleepy anymore. In fact, I feel entirely restless. I briefly think about going outside to sit on the patio and gaze at the ocean. However, I don't want to wake anyone up. So, I just continue laying down and looking at the beach from my window.

My phone buzzes and I grab it to see the notification. It's Luca's number—I never saved it, but I know it is him because he sent me pictures the other day.

6 attachments.

I click on his message thread and I see a four photos of myself at Disney World, and the two selfies we took before the show at the castle started. He seems to be really good at taking off guard pictures. These look better then the ones I've taken so far this entire vacation. Then, I stare at the two selfie photos. He actually seems like he is enjoying himself. I find myself smiling at the pictures myself. I don't know why either. I hesitate before replying back to him.

Dude what are you doing up at 1 in the morning?

I guess I can ask you the same thing. You just responded to my messages.

We're not talking about me right now.

Why not? I wouldn't be opposed to that.

I'm going to sleep. Thanks for the pics.

Wait.

What?

I wait for a response for about five minutes. Once I realize he isn't going to text back, I lock my phone and lay back down. I don't even know why I attempt to humor him. He is just playing games with me. That's all he ever does to people. No one actually likes him.

I am cut off by my thoughts once my phone to my phone rings. It is not just any ring either. It's the ring for FaceTiming. Why is he trying to call me? Matter of fact, why is he trying to show me his face? What does he want with me? I don't even know why I pick up.

"What?" I say.

The room is pretty dark, the only light is from the night sky. He cannot see my face, but I see his perfectly. He is in a well lit area. It looks like he is in the lobby of the hotel he is staying at.

"You answered." He smiles.

"I can hang up just as fast." I state. "What's your point?"

"You're really mean to me." He chuckles.

"I just don't understand why you're even calling me."

"I told you already, I'm interested in you." He says. "Did you have fun today?"