Chapter V

November 2nd

    The first thing that came back to her was the feeling of her sore muscles and a throbbing headache. Her head felt heavier than normal and she could hear music but, it was far away. She was still floating, or maybe she was sinking — it didn't really matter. She'd be okay staying in her past, where her life didn't have to touch her.

    Her heavy eyelids blinked open. Her head was hanging, her neck had a new painful ache from being unconscious sitting in a chair. She tried to open her mouth but there was something keeping her lips pressed together. Her blurry vision became clear and she saw that she sat in a wooden chair, with ducktape wrapped around her wrists. Her breathing grew fast, her jaw moved, and she licked at her lips. Her ankles were wrapped up, she was stuck. She looked around, the dark dingy room that she sat in was covered in news clips and symbols. There were stacks of books and tables full of prototype contraptions. The news clips had bright white painted letters like 'liar' or 'who could he be?'. She tugged at her wrists and turned as far as she could to see behind her. The curtains that covered the windows couldn't hide that it was daytime. She let out a muffled scream and felt tears pool at the edge of the duct tape on her face. She needed to get the tape off her mouth, if she could then there could be a chance to getaway.

    The creak of a door opening slowly behind her made her movements still, the music got louder as the door opened. She tried to look back but she couldn't see him. Her head fell and she felt a sob rack her body. Footsteps for the first time in a couple of days were sending chills down her back then giving her hope. His heavy footsteps creaked against the wooden panels of his apartment. She'd never been to his place, he always preferred meeting at her place — now she knew why. He picked up a chair and dragged it across the floor until he placed it a foot away from her. He sat down, his breathing heavy against the mask. She closed her eyes and shook her head. Why was he wearing that in front of her? His glasses were pushed up against the green mask, he wore the same outfit as the night before.

    "What's different and kind but ignorant and blind?" He asked as his head slowly tilted to the side. He leaned forward and placed his arms against his knees. She looked into his eyes and pushed herself back against the chair.

    "You." He said in a low whisper. Her eyebrows furrowed together. "You were different from the day I first met you, an angel sent just for me. You always see the best in people but, that can be dangerous, can't it Zee?" He chuckled. "I mean you're a psychiatrist and you couldn't even see the real me."

    She wanted to tell him this wasn't him. She wanted to tell him that she's always seen the real version of himself. She shook her head but that was all she could do.

    "You need someone to protect you. Keep you away from the filth of Gotham, someone to make it just as pure as you've always been." His eyes grew wide as he spoke. She could see in those earnest green eyes that he meant every word. She felt guilty, immense guilt that she hadn't seen the signs. He was right she was ignorant and blind to the truth that had been staring her right in the eyes.

    "I didn't want to duct tape your mouth shut but, I know you better than you know yourself. You'd use up any energy you had using your abilities..." She shook her head quickly and she could see his eyes narrow, he was smiling. He was right, she would've done that when she first woke up but, now she just wanted to talk to him.

    He stood up and took one step to get close to her. He looked down at her and she craned her neck to meet his gaze. "You won't do that now, will you?" He asked and she shook her head. He lifted a hand up and peeled the tape off of her face. She grimaced as it stung. 

    She opened her mouth and watched him sit back down across from her. "Can you take the mask off?" She asked.

    He looked at her, "This isn't a mask. It's the real me."