chapter one: lost causes are rarely found

A/N: first chapter, let's go besties! Don't forget to vote and comment, it genuinely makes my day! Enjoy!

____________

DELACROIX, LOUISIANA
2025

Bucky sits at Sam's dining table, a tiny tangerine in his warm hand while he delicately works at the peel with his vibranium fingers. The tip of his tongue peeks out between his pink lips as he concentrates on trying to remove the peel in one go. He's already eaten three tangerines. Each one another failed attempt. He huffs in frustration each time as he catches the orange rind a little too lightly and it peels away from the fruit in small pieces. He thinks he's found the right pressure now though, almost there.

The small task is a welcome distraction while they wait for intel from Torres. Sam is standing leaning against the kitchen counter opposite him, his fiancée's wedding planner in his hands. When Bucky agreed to be Sam's best man, he didn't think he would be this involved. But so far, he's been on cake tasting afternoons and helped scout venues with the happy couple. He's never felt like more of a third wheel.

Bucky is half listening as he keeps peeling at his tangerine. He hears the words, he's just choosing not to process them.

"Buck?"

"Huh?" Bucky looks up from the orange fruit just as the last chunk of peel comes away. He grins, holding it up proudly. "Did it!"

"That's great, man. Really, I'm proud of you. But can we focus now? Did you get my text about your suit fitting?"

Bucky digs his phone out of his back pocket and opens his messaging app. There are five unopened text threads. Three of them from women he doesn't have the heart to break it off with, one from his therapist and then Sam's.

CAP 🇺🇸
You can't organise shit so I booked your suit fitting for you, you're welcome. Tuesday, June 10th @ 2pm. Lavoisier Suits, NOLA. Don't be late.

"This is tomorrow," Bucky says.

"Oh, so you can read." Sam quips as he glances over Bucky's shoulder. "Seriously Buck, I sent you that text like three weeks ago. Why do you even have a phone if you don't use it- oh."

"What?"

"Might wanna reply to Jasmine, she seems... eager." He's smirking, eyebrows raised. "Oh, and Frankie. Good for you, man. I liked her."

Bucky rolls his eyes but he likes Frankie too. A lot, actually. She's probably the only one he talks to outside of planning to hook up but he knows it's not going anywhere.