prologue: in the blink of an eye

NEW YORK2023

NEW YORK
2023

The city is loud and bright outside the windows of the dimly lit apartment. Helicopters rumble as they circle overhead before slowly fading to a low hum, returning to the action outside the GRC Plaza.

The news has taken over every channel, one of which is still playing out on the TV in the living room. He was watching it when she arrived. Eyes glued to the screen as footage of the new Captain America played over and over. B-roll to the reporters' discussion of what it means now that someone like Sam Wilson has taken ownership of the shield.

They're still droning on, stuck on an argument about race and whether he's a true representation of America. Rosie can't help but focus on their voices as the bed squeaks beneath her and she groans at the sheer ignorance of it all. 

"You okay?"

"Huh? Shit. Yeah, sorry- I was just..." her voice dies out into a whimper as he snaps his hips against hers a little too forcefully.

Mid-fuck is probably not a great time to express her opinions on Captain America, not that there's a lot else going on in her brain. 
She's used to it by now. The dull feeling in her chest that should be an electric buzz of pleasure. But nothing has really been the same since she reappeared six months ago.

The blip.

That's what they call it. It sounds so fucking ominous. Like one of those old school horror flicks. When in reality, all she remembers is being here one moment, a brief void of nothingness and then she was back and everything had changed. Five years passed in the blink of an eye.

Rosie knows others who went. Joel, for one. The lanky blonde is currently fucking her like his life depends on it. She hasn't got the heart to tell him that his overachiever energy doesn't quite match his ability to make her come.

In fairness, her mind is elsewhere.

Flashes of the chaos she'd passed on her walk to Joel's from the university. So much noise, people everywhere. She hasn't seen anything like it since 2012.

Her camera sits on Joel's dining table, a full film roll holding snapshots she'd taken as she guiltily slowed down and watched everything unfold around her. She's desperate to get home and develop them. There are a couple she might add to her portfolio too, the wildest street art that she's been tracking across the city. She hopes to make a series out of it once she's developed and edited them. Maybe she can sell a few to magazines and newspapers, at least try to make rent this month.

She feels Joel's cock jerk inside her and puts herself back in the moment just as he begins to come. He grunts, eyes squeezed shut as he continues to thrust into her sporadically until he's spent and soft. He presses a series of kisses across Rosie's jaw and along her shoulder as he pulls out and disposes of the filled condom before flopping onto his back beside her with a sigh.