14

"That sucked major ass." Zeke groaned as he backed the car out of Monroe's parents driveway. Anna let out a laugh that she'd held in for the entire conversation between Zeke and Mo's dad. As Zeke started down the road, Anna climbed from the back seat into the front and buckled herself in. Mo's dad had a serious conversation with Zeke about making sure Mo stays out of trouble. It was awkward for all of them.

"He's not wrong." Anna smiled teasingly at Zeke. "You've got quite the responsibility on your hands."

"Bro, do you think he even knows his kids? He's talking to me about keeping his son straight but does he know what me and his daughter got up to in high school?" Zeke complained, huffing.

"Probably, which is why he just gave you that talk." Anna laughed, shrugging. "How were things with Kate and her man?"

"Don't get me started. What a tool." Anna laughed again at her obviously hung up cousin. "We're not hooking up anymore so she wasn't happy to see me."

"I can imagine." Anna mumbled. She was silent for a moment before deciding she should encourage Zeke. "That's good, though. I think that's a smart decision."

Zeke shrugged and kept his eyes on the road. Anna studied him. He looked tense and focused. She knew he was holding feelings in by his tight grip on the wheel and distant eyes. He didn't like to be vulnerable, but she knew he needed to allow himself to feel things.

"You can talk to me." Anna spoke finally. Zeke's racing thoughts were interrupted and he glanced at her for a moment. "I know both of us haven't been comfortable with sharing our own feelings with anyone, but I think we can both grow from being more open."

Zeke's grip softened. He was silent as he thought for a moment. Anna watched him, hoping she'd not just made him uncomfortable. They'd felt closer, like siblings, lately. She just hoped he'd sensed the same thing.

"You're right." Zeke spoke, breaking the silence. "You have feelings for Mo."

Anna flinched, feeling like she'd been slapped in the face with an unexpected truth. She sat up straight and stared at Zeke's smiling face. After a moment she laughed loudly. She knew better than to try and make Zeke take things seriously. She should have seen it coming.

"Sabotage." Anna said smiling. Zeke laughed. "That was uncalled for."

"What? You said we could benefit from being more open. You weren't very open about that, were you?"
Zeke said as he pulled the car into their driveway.

"I did say that but I didn't expect for you to use it against me!" Anna hit Zeke's arm playfully.

"But I'm right." Zeke said smiling widely. Anna couldn't hold in her giggling.

"Stop!" Anna covered her face. She knew she wasn't hiding anything from Zeke but she didn't want to admit it to him because she hadn't even admit it to herself.

"I'm right, I know I am." Anna uncovered her face and rolled her eyes. She grabbed her stuff and got out of the car, Zeke following suit. Anna walked on the path to the house and stopped, turning to face Zeke.

"When did you know?" Anna said, crossing her arms.  Anna couldn't fully concede yet, but she needed to know more.

"Definitely the day Holly cooked dinner. He was talking about that chick Sophie and you looked like you were about to breathe fire." Zeke snorted. Anna groaned, hiding the goofy smile on her face again.

"Whatever. He doesn't like me anyway." Anna shrugged, taking a seat on the front step of the house.

"Are you fucking blind?" Zeke laughed, stepping closer and squatting in front of her. Anna stared at him, the smile on her face slowly faltering. The thought of Mo liking her never really occurred to her in a real sense. "The kid may not even know it himself."

"Don't play with me." Anna said half seriously. Zeke's smile only got bigger.

"I'm serious, the boy doesn't shut up about you. Will Anna be there? Can I come do homework with Anna?" Zeke mocked Mo. Anna laughed crossing her arms again. She knew Zeke wouldn't make this up just to be funny, but she wasn't finding it easy to accept the thought as truth. Mo wouldn't be so interested in Sophie if he liked her. She would be able to tell if Mo actually liked her.

"He likes Sophie, not-" Anna started to rationalize but was cut off by Zeke.

"He liked Sophie. Then he met you. He's only going after her because he's not afraid of getting rejected by her." Anna didn't reply. She understood he meant Mo had less to lose, me being his best friends cousin and living in the house he spends a majority of his time at, but surely he'd have talked to Zeke about it and not left him to figure it out on his own. Just as it started to make sense, Anna decided Zeke didn't really know. That was easier.

"I think you're crazy." Anna stood up and walked to the door, waiting on Zeke to unlock it. "Yes, I like Mo a little bit but that's it."

"Sure, I'm the crazy one." Zeke said putting his key in the lock. "The two of you are impossible. You don't have to believe ME, his best friend that spends all his time with him and knows him better than anyone."

"You're right, I don't." Anna smiled and walked in the door, leaving Zeke alone.

She went straight to her bedroom and shut herself in. She had a bomb of emotions inside her that was ready to explode. It was a big cluster of fluttery butterflies and anxiety like shrapnel in her stomach. She didn't know if she felt elated or bombarded. She was caught in the crossfire of conflicting thoughts about Mo. Him liking her and him not. As Anna got ready for bed, they bounced around in her mind too fast to have a clear thought. The only thing Anna knew for sure was that it suddenly became very real and tangible that she had feelings for Mo. 

————————
A/N

Hi!! Ok this is cute right? SHE LIKES HIM! They're so cute!!! I love her and Zeke's relationship. Okay, sorry this takes me forever I just want things to be good before I post them but it's worth it! Thank you for the reads and the votes!! Ily!!! <3

Hannah