10: TEMPTING VOID

In the celestial realms of Hindu mythology, there was once a powerful deity known as Indra, the ruler of the heavens and the god of thunder and lightning. Blessed with strength and authority, Indra was admired and respected by all beings, both divine and mortal.

However, as time passed, Indra's power began to corrupt him. Pride swelled in his heart, and arrogance clouded his judgment. He became reckless and boastful, believing himself to be invincible and above all others.

One day, the great sage Durvasa visited the heavenly abode of Indra. Known for his short temper and ability to curse even the mightiest beings, Durvasa was received with great pomp and show by Indra, who was eager to display his wealth and status.

Durvasa, however, was not impressed by Indra's grandeur. He saw through the facade of pride and arrogance that surrounded the king of the gods. In a test of Indra's humility, Durvasa presented him with a garland of celestial flowers, warning him to never let it wilt.

Indra, blinded by his ego, accepted the garland with a smirk and placed it on the tusks of his royal elephant, Airavata. Neglecting the garland, Indra returned to his revelry, convinced of his own superiority.

As days passed, the garland began to wither and lose its divine fragrance. The flowers wilted and fell apart, emitting a foul stench that spread throughout the heavens. Indra's arrogance had led to the decay of the sacred gift, and the gods whispered in fear of Durvasa's wrath.

Furious at Indra's disrespect, Durvasa appeared before the king of the heavens once more. His eyes blazed with anger as he cursed Indra for his arrogance, declaring that the gods would suffer defeat and humiliation at the hands of their enemies.

True to Durvasa's words, the demons and their king, Bali, launched a fierce attack on the heavens. Indra and the gods found themselves outnumbered and outmatched, their pride and complacency exposed before their enemies.

In the midst of the battle, Indra realized the folly of his ways. His arrogance had blinded him to the true responsibilities of a leader and the importance of humility and respect. With a heavy heart, he sought forgiveness from Durvasa and vowed to change his ways.

With humility and determination, Indra led the gods in a fierce battle against the demons. Through unity and perseverance, they emerged victorious, learning valuable lessons about the consequences of arrogance and the true meaning of leadership.

And so, Indra's reign was saved from the brink of destruction, and the heavens once again shone brightly with the light of wisdom and humility, reminding all beings that even the mightiest of gods are not above the laws of karma.

...

The constant screeching seemed never-ending; the pleas for assistance and the desperate cries for his name became more anguish-filled with each passing word.

Kwan was slowly breaking through the night of his painful memoirs. He was finally breaking the eternal slumber of unrest aliasing the perimeters of his hollow pellucidity.

He opened his eyes once, then twice, and by thrice he was wide awake. He recalled nothing but falling to his doom, once and for all, until he woke up to find his heart beating beneath the coop of his heart. The bones surrounded the utmost living that had truly plucked the cords of the mere body to keep the breath going, to keep his body being called with a name.

"Jeong... Kwa--kwan h-hyung," a whimper of relief washed over his ears; it was Hyon.

He turned his head to his right only to find a sobbing Hyon staring at him with the softest gaze of love. Four pairs of eyes shining in bittersweet pain, staring right through him.