JUST FOR PRETEND┊SCARAMOUCHE

oh my god; you're absolutely baffled. never in the long years of life did you think this day would come.

no— scratch that. you weren't expecting this at all.

you don't bother hiding any of the shock and astonishment your face, eyes widened and eyebrows raised high enough that they can practically touch the ceiling. the thoughts of your studies and textbook notes are no longer in the back of your mind when all you can do is analyze the person in front of you with a dumbfounded look on your face.

"you don't have to act all surprised." the feeling of scaramouche's fingers sharply flicking your forehead snaps you out of your stupor. your head tilts back with an escaped yelp as your hands fly to cover the space above your eyes, as if it'll soothe the pain and stop the cobalt-haired male from flicking you any further.

"well," you start with narrowed eyes, "maybe if you asked a question a normal tutor would, i wouldn't be!" you try not to acknowledge the heat trailing to your face, unintentionally increasing your volume to hide that fact.

you purposely scoot yourself away with your chair that's beside scara so he can't reach over and give your forehead another hit. seriously, what type of tutor asks their student to date them so suddenly and so casually? especially if that tutor is scaramouche, the stoic classmate with a deadpanned expression permanently etched onto his face. thoughts you don't want to think about start to carelessly run around your mind.

"calm down," scaramouche remarks. "i don't like you. i just need a pretend... partner. for private reasons."

right. fake-date. not real, actual, dating. you try to ignore the blow he deals from the phrases he says.

"that's not gonna get you anywhere," you reply with haste. a certain look flashes through his eyes as he listens to what you say... amusement?  "how can i trust you and pretend to date you if you won't tell me why? besides, this is only our third tutor session together, so i don't get why you're asking someone like me to help someone like you."

"relax, i really don't have any feelings for you. believe me." scaramouche scoffs, a scowl and strict stare coming alongside it. before you can intervene and say that wasn't what you meant, he continues. "and like i said, it is for private reasons— just say yes or no, it's that simple. i would also rather not ask someone else, it's just irritating."

you glare in disbelief. seriously? why did he bother asking for help if he was going to be so rude anyways? you really can't stand him. your mouth opens to say no with declination, but for some reason nothing comes out.

well... you can't deny the way his stare alone makes blood rush to your face.

... it wouldn't hurt to try, right? surely there's a good enough reason he has for this. you hate to say it, but despite his attitude..

you wonder what else there would be in store for him.

as seconds pass by, realization clicks in. it wouldn't be that bad— in fact, you admit it would be a bit cool to be known as the partner of scaramouche, let alone know how he is like when he shows affection. you can't adjust to the way excitement starts to run throughout your body just at the thought of dating such a guy.

even if it's just for pretend.

"fine," you confidently answer. you stop covering your forehead to hold out your dominant hand for a handshake; a confirmation. "but one thing you have to agree on: you have to tell me at some point why you're doing this."

you don't plan on backing down; once this is done, it's done. you're going all the way with it. people only live once, right? might as well have a little bit of fun before high school ends.

scara simply stares in return, eyes flicking between your own gaze and to your outstretched hand. you can tell he's considering it from the way his lips straighten into a thin line, then curve into a slight smirk.

wait. why were you looking there anyway?

"alright. deal." scaramouche's hand holds onto yours and you flinch the tiniest bit at the feeling of his cold hand against your warm one. "but you better not tell a single soul that this is all fake. understand?"

before you can even respond, a surprised yelp is let out when scaramouche forcefully pulls your whole figure towards him. it happens so quick; you have to reach out your other hand to quickly hold onto the side of the table to balance yourself. your eyes slightly widen from the closeness and proximity of your faces, his eyes undeniably meeting yours with an attitude similar to one of cockiness. your upper body hovers above his seated one, and the smirk on his face doesn't leave for a single moment.

you forget to breathe when he leans forward, past your face to whisper to you. his warm breath tickles the tip of your ear and his hair kisses the side of your cheek, making you swallow down the urge to pull away. your heart pounds so loud that you're sure scaramouche can hear it. you guys are almost chest-to-chest, how is he so calm about it?

"day one of our relationship starts tomorrow. got it?"

all you can do is feverishly nod your head in response.

this is just an old post on tumblr that i really liked :) lmk if i should turn this into a series!