28. Nonna

Leo

I stretch my body and lean over to grab my phone and check the time on the screen. It's only four in the morning, but I'm pretty sure Josephine hasn't gone to sleep yet as it's only eleven at her side.

I dial her number and wait for her to answer.

She does after the second ring.

"Hey, still awake?" Her voice is soft and slow, meaning she was almost falling asleep, but I probably woke her up.

"Hi, Josephine." My morning voice comes out all husky and shit so I clear my throat and sit up straighter.

"Hi." She giggles. I smile.

"Did I wake you up?"

"No, I was watching a movie and it's pretty boring. So, I'm probably gonna watch another one since I don't have work tomorrow."

"What are you planning on doing on your day off, then?"

"Hmm." A beat passes. "I have nothing planned. Are you free tomorrow? We can do something together."

A pang of guilt hits me.

"I can't tomorrow." I say.

"Ah, bummer."

"Guess where I am." I tell her.

"Seeing as it's something past eleven, I'm gonna say in your bed."

"Correct. But not entirely." I rest my free hand on my bare stomach.

"Where are you then?"

"I'm in Sicily." I say.

"What?" Her voice comes out as a screech. "Really? That's amazing. When did you go?"

"I only arrived last night."

It was a spur-of-the-moment decision. Luca and Izzy came here a week before and they kept videoing me and made me feel jealous. Even Nonna kept telling me to come here, as I haven't been in a few years.

So I booked the first flight available, which was after a few hours of booking it. I quickly packed a bag and went to the airport. And now I'm here. In Sicily, Italy. The place where my father was born. Where my Nonna and Nonno lived and raised their children.

Last time I was here was over two years ago. It was my Nonna's birthday, and I had a two-week vacation from deployment.

"Is there a special occasion?" She asks.

"Not really." I shrug, even though she can't see me. "Luca and Izzy got here a week ago and yeah, it just happened."

She stays silent for a few seconds. "Why didn't you say? I could've come and said goodbye to you. I haven't seen you in a week."

I wince. "I know. I'm sorry."

"No, don't apologize." She goes silent and I imagine her biting her lower lip. "How long are you staying?"

"I'm not sure. I didn't book a return ticket." I'm leaving it up in the air when I'll return. Maybe I'll come back with my brother and his girlfriend in a week. Maybe I'll stay here only for a few days. Or maybe a month. It depends.

"I also wanna go to Italy." I hear fabric ruffling and imagine her turning over in bed. "I haven't been in a year."

"Next time, I'll take you with me."

"You better." She laughs.

Neither one of us says anything for a few moments. Just the sound of our breathing going through the phone.