"I missed you."

There was a common complaint circulating the internet about the moving process. Jumping from one town to the next, or even switching apartments, was a pain. The world hated it. Social media cried about it. I mean, who wanted to move boxes around, crumble and fold old newspapers in hopes they protected plates? No one, I guess.

But if I was being honest, I didn't mind it. When I left home, it was a struggle, yeah. I drained my savings, only had one bag packed and the clothes on my back, but the experience was worth it. It helped me grow; my stepping stone into adulthood. I was sure there were easier ways to learn, to live independently, but the helping hands along the way were welcomed. I appreciated it all.

Like Mr. Paul, the best landlord anyone could ask for. The old man saw a young woman who needed a chance, an opportunity, and I was grateful he gave it to me. Sometimes a person just needs a push, you know?

And that was why, despite having my boxes and old furniture moved into Brian's apartment, I accepted Jade and Rianne's help to unpack it all.

This was where I agreed with the internet—boxes. Who liked unpacking them? No one. I didn't have many, but cardboard cuts were worse than paper cuts. My right hand had four Band-Aids.

"So, when is Brian coming back?" Jade stood in the living room with one of my boxes in front of her. There were some photos tucked away inside of it, wrapped in those old free newspapers you could pick up off the side of the street. The leg of a small teddy bear Brian bought me on a whim—an adorable, spontaneous, absolutely loving whim—stuck out of it, too; just dangling, pleading to be picked up.

I could hear its tiny voice in my head. "Help me, Kay."

Walking over to the box, I picked the little blue bear up in my arms and looked at Jade. She blinked at me, her hands on her hips. "Was I supposed to put that away first?" she asked.

I squeezed the bear against my chest. "Maybe."

Rianne walked behind us, passing the couch covered in old newspapers, and laughed. "Brian bought her that a while ago. Jade, if you touched it, she'd probably flip."

Faking a gasp, I looked at Rianne and lifted the bear to my chin. "I would not! Leonardo just needs the right place to sleep!"

Jade smirked and giggled. "You named the bear?"

Rianne reached over to a box beside the couch, smirking just the same. "See, told you."

My next gasp was real. A mixture of embarrassment and shock. Of course, I named the bear. I'd named every stuffed animal I ever owned.

Was it what its name? Should I have named it Little Brian?

"I'm joking." Jade snorted and leaned close. "I name everything. My laptop is named Peebles."

I cracked a smile. Even her laptop? Peebles?

"But back to my question," as Jade flipped her wavy hair over her opposite shoulder, she reached into the box at her feet for a picture frame, "when is Brian coming back?"

When I looked at the clock hanging beside the TV, I caught Rianne doing the same. "He said he'll come back once he finishes the shop," I said, placing Leonardo the bear on the couch. "So, he should be here soon."

"Ahuh." Jade glanced down at the picture before smiling; a big goofy smile. She flipped the frame over so I would see. "You two are stupid adorable, you know that?"

I blinked before realizing what it was I was looking at. The picture was of Brian and me, right around the time when we were taking things day by day for about a month. We had been walking home by the park after closing up the coffee shop. Brian thought it would be the best idea to swoop me into a tight hug, but in a way where I couldn't push him while he pressed his lips to my cheek in the sloppiest of goofy-kisses.