• 24 •

When I first left home, I knew there would be difficulties and struggles. Hell, having no money and surviving on bread slices was expected. But if someone had stood outside my parents' front door on that rainy day and told me the second I moved into the city, I'd find the grass on the other side needed some tending. But it was worth it, I would have rolled my eyes and pushed them away.

I wasn't the gardening type. Plants just wouldn't grow around me. If it wasn't baking, I just couldn't do it. Yet, here I was refilling my water pail to the very rim and watering the path before Brian and me. Each sprinkle made the grass greener, each drop brought a flower or two. I planned on giving this road so much love and care, that when we stepped forward in life together, gardens would appear just because.

Back home, I never thought I'd have the strength to do it. I never saw possibilities, never understood real forgiveness.

Now I did; I felt it, held it, pulled it close. Cupped gently in my hands was this bright red heart of love that Brian and I created together. Sure, there was a crack here and there, but I've already applied the bandages. In the end, I knew, the heart would turn into a golden key with a ribbon attached to its end. What would it open? Honestly, I didn't know; I wasn't psychic. But I had a good idea.

|||

Tuesday morning's bright sun came through Brian's window and for the first time in over twelve hours, we groaned in detest. His arms pulled around my waist to pull me close. He whispered endlessly in my ear to stay, to love him, and to agree to take another free day. And as appealing as it was, I couldn't let him ignore his shop anymore.

I may have found strength in love and forgiveness, but I found growth in adulting. I couldn't become a proper adult if I called off work over one day in a row. I also would be a horrible girlfriend if I let my boyfriend ignore his business.

I'd also be lying if I said I didn't consider taking him up on his offer just a teensy, weensy little bit. Okay, maybe my considering it was actually super, duper, ginormous. But again, adulting.

I gave Brian one long, much-needed kiss before I threw on my clothes and left his apartment. At first, he argued that I should at least stay, have breakfast with him, and then we could leave together. But I reminded him I had no clothes in his apartment. And I couldn't keep wearing the same thing. So, in normal Brian fashion, he called up an Uber because he refused to let me walk anywhere alone.

My apartment was welcoming the second I'd opened the door, as though it missed me. The emptiness longed for my love and care just as much as Brian did. It even gave me a gift. When I closed the door behind me, I kept my eyes on a gift bag on the counter. On its top handle was a note.

For a moment, I wondered how Brian did it. We were in each other's arms forever. But when I approached the bag and read the note, I saw it wasn't Brian. But Jun.

It said, Brand spanking new phone. Tell Mr. Paul thanks for letting this get delivered for me. Now, don't forget to call me.

That's a lot to fit on a note.

Laughing to myself, I couldn't help but accept the gift. I mean, I did need a new phone. And just because I could pay my rent and bills didn't mean I could afford one. So, as I walked into my bedroom, I started it up, giving it the few minutes it needed to store all of my info and sync it to my cloud. The second it was ready, I dropped onto my bed and called the next person who needed to hear my voice.

"Hey, big bro!" I smiled as Jun's face appeared on the phone's screen. He didn't even give it a second to fully ring. And he nearly dropped his phone too, I could tell because I saw a wall, then a floor, before I really saw him.