Chapter 24: You Still There?

We ate practically our entire body weight crawfish that night at a local restaurant. Predictably, Joe was recognized by the whole wait staff and we ended up getting the meal for free. He didn't have to, but Joe paid a good tip to make up for their hospitality. We were too tired to do much of anything else as soon as we got back to the hotel, crashing at about 9:30 p.m. I didn't tell him, but I caught Joe sending a goodnight text to his mom before we both fell asleep, bellies full and smiles on our faces.

     The next morning, I woke up first, glancing over at the digital clock that read 7 a.m. I rubbed my eyes, careful not to move too much yet and accidentally disturb Joe's sleep. I glanced over at him, a smile on my face growing as I noticed he was sleeping soundly; I watched him for a moment. On our third day together, it was less about trying to process that everything was happening and more about preemptively missing our time alone, knowing that soon, work would pull us in different directions.

     It was hard to believe that we would already be heading back to Cincinnati by tomorrow night, but I wouldn't let my worries get in the way of our last full day together. I laid over on my side, resting my head on my arm and reaching my other hand over to toy with his hair. Even Joe Burrow got bedhead. He was a light snorer, though I could imagine him getting louder after a day's worth of playing the game. I wanted to kiss him good morning so badly but didn't want to wake him up.

     On the bedside table, I caught a glimpse of his phone screen flashing on with a notification, but it made no sound. I wondered how many calls and texts he'd dodged since he got to the farmhouse yesterday.

     I retracted my hand and laid back more comfortably, closing my eyes, fully intending to go back to sleep for another hour or so. But Joe began to shuffle beside me, and my heart beat faster, excited by the notion he might be awake for the day. I opened my eyes and sat up on my elbow, looking down at him, wondering if he would wake up but deciding I would be up for the day anyway. He flitted one blue eye open and smiled sleepily.

     "Morning, sweetheart." It was surreal to hear those nicknames replace the ones he'd sling to me whenever we were at work. I knew his token ones for me would stay, but it was lovely to hear new ones get thrown in. He wrapped an arm around me and pulled me in, bringing me close to his chest. He kissed the top of my head.

"Did I wake you up?" I whispered.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I'm bad at sleeping in. You sleep okay?"

I nodded. "It's been a while since I slept that good."

"Good."

     We lay there quietly, Joe's breathing slowing down ever so gently; I felt his chest rise and fall and take my head with it. I could tell he was either falling back asleep, or just feeling really peaceful. I didn't say anything, reaching my fingers up to trace shapes on his bare sternum. He was so incredibly strong.

I admired him for a bit longer before I heard him wake back up. "Avery?" he muttered. "You still there?"

    I chuckled, finding his barely conscious worries too adorable. "Yeah, Joe, I'm right here."

    "I didn't even realize I fell back asleep," he said, getting up ever so slightly, leaning his head against the padded backboard of the bed. His eyes were barely open, though he blinked in an effort to wake himself up.

"Only for about five minutes, if even," I reassured him. "You got a notification, by the way."

     He furrowed his brows, picking it up just barely before setting it back down. I caught sight of a whole wall of notifications, though they didn't seem to interest him at all. Something told me he likely would only respond if it was his mom, or something equally urgent. "Nothing important," he said.